Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing rings

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Changing rings

I thinking of pulling the engine and change the rings in the car. What does this exactly entale? What did GM do when they did this under Warranty? Should I change Rod Bolts? Do the bearings need to be changed? Or just remove the rod and piston, swap rings and put it back together????The engine has 40000 miles on her....

The reason I'm asking thing is because is it cost effective to all this to my engine or should I go with a new built shortblock ??????

I want to make 425 rwhp and make it drivable

Thanks in Advance guys...
Old 07-31-2004, 08:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why do you want to change the rings,is it smoking or burning oil?Should still be good with only 40k.But if you"re going to pull it then,you should do bearings too and rod bolts too,it be a good time for new cam,heads,rockerarms,etc or whatever to the internals as its much easier to work on out of the car.Good luck!!
Old 07-31-2004, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

I have a set of Absolute heads on it now with a 225/230 cam from Cartek.Making over 410 to the rear wheels...

It has been using oil for a while now, and don't know which direction to go. I'm on a budget, but I don't want to do things twice....

Thanks for your reply
Old 07-31-2004, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

How much oil are you using,is it smoking?Are you sure its not valveseals?If you haven"t run it real hot the rings should be OK.I have a fresh 408 sb Chevy with Totalseal gapless rings with about 750 miles on it and its smoking when you get on it hard,it was build by a highly respected shop over here,not too happy!
Old 07-31-2004, 09:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Even if you just wanted to change the rings you"d have to hone the cylinders to break in the new rings,not real simple!
Old 08-01-2004, 08:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

I changed mine out to diamond Pro-selects by using a 3 stone glaze breaker and a drill to hone the cylinder. Oil comsumption is now a thing of the past
Old 08-01-2004, 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oil comsumption could be from your PVC setup. How much are you using? If you are on a budget you should try to eliminate all possibilities first. Did you look inside the intake for oil sludge? If so maybe a catchcan or a switchover to a LS6 cover would be a good idea. Check into that first.