Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagnose tick (sound clip)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 11:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnose tick (sound clip)

I think I have bent pushrods from over revving my engine a while back on the freeway. Today I checked all the passenger pushrods and found 2 very very slightly bent rods (no noticible bend, just a very slight wabble on glass). I replaced these two with straight stock rods from a friend. I didnt have time to do the drivers side, but will do it tomorrow.

After getting everything back together the tick was still noticible. I recorded a sound clip (15 sec) standing about 6 feet in front of my car after I had just quickly driven it around the block. Hood was closed to hear the tick (if it is open the tick gets drowned out).

Take a listen and let me know what you think it is.

http://xcespwr.homeip.net/Jeff/tick.mp3
Old 09-02-2004, 01:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Can you repost the sound clip with a different extension? Say mp3_? I cant download it as my firewall has banned access to these kind of files.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Real hard to tell in the clip; curious what others think.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

Sounds like a belt to me. That is exactly what mine sounded like when it was frayed a little. Did you check your belts? Just a thought but sounds really similiar to my belt. I had 2 broken pushrods and the other 14 were bent pretty good and the ticking was more uniform than your sound clip sounded. I am by no means an expert just a thought.
Matt
Old 09-02-2004, 03:07 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by nbmls1ta
Sounds like a belt to me. That is exactly what mine sounded like when it was frayed a little. Did you check your belts? Just a thought but sounds really similiar to my belt. I had 2 broken pushrods and the other 14 were bent pretty good and the ticking was more uniform than your sound clip sounded. I am by no means an expert just a thought.
Matt
I have not checked the belts yet. Curious as to which belt was damaged on your car. Do you have aftermarket pulleys?
Old 09-02-2004, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

You should get a mechanics stethoscope. One of the best investments I ever made. I feel a lot better about everything now...I actually narrowed my tick down to loud injectors. But my tick isn't that loud, and it's a regular repeating noise. I think you should check the other side (pushrods). But like I said...it would be easier with a stethoscope.
Old 09-03-2004, 09:06 AM
12 Second Club

I had it happen on our van and it was the ac belt. On my car it was the serpentine belt. It was coming apart in one spot and started making that ticking noise when it went over a pulley(can't remember which one) I have all stock belts. I would check your belt and make sure that is not what it is before you start tearing into the engine. I hope that it is as simple as a belt. Good luck and I hope you can fix this easily.
Matt