Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Diameter Forged Pistons

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 02:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock Diameter Forged Pistons

does anyone make this? all I have seen are 5/1000's over.
A friend of mine cracked his stock block. He got another motor and wants to just replace the stock pistons, and rods with forged stuff. Is he better off buying a put together forged short block or is it easy enough to do it yourself? he is trying to avoid honing/boring out the block to get the bigger pistons in.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:12 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by haole_boySS
does anyone make this? all I have seen are 5/1000's over.
A friend of mine cracked his stock block. He got another motor and wants to just replace the stock pistons, and rods with forged stuff. Is he better off buying a put together forged short block or is it easy enough to do it yourself? he is trying to avoid honing/boring out the block to get the bigger pistons in.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
You need to hone the block for new rings at a minimum.

Its $10 a hole to bore a block at most shops if you need to bore. It costs $80 to bore a block ($10/hole). The cost to do that and buy off the shelf forged pistons will be cheaper than trying to buy custom stock diameter pistons.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I buy pistons from Ross and they make them to suit your bore dimensions after allowing for clearance. All you need to do is a hone as mentioned above. Pretty sure the other well known piston manufacturers will provide the same service.

He should do a proper re-balance job as well to get it right and if he can't do this stuff he's better off buying something fully assembled. That way he will have the work done properly and have a warranty