Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Chain and gears or Gears?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 01:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Timing Chain and gears or Gears?

Alright, I am a NewB.....Was considering a purchase of a Ricer, but renewed my faith in the Amaerican Market vie purchasing my Brother's (Now mine) 2000 WS6 M6 TA. Anyway, I have been reading through several of the threads, and have been REALLY soaking in alot of info about upgrades. But the one thing I have seen was about timing equip.

I was wondering which would be better over all....Chain and sproket (Double chain or single doesnt matter) or gears?

I know some people talk about gears over Chains, and vice versa. Could someone please clearify the possible pro's and con's?

Thanks much, will post pics as soon as I can get back and get this camera down loaded. Thanks

Happy Drivin!!
Old 09-07-2004, 01:58 PM
TECH Resident

I mean I havent seen anything about Timing Equip....Sorry for the typo
Old 09-07-2004, 04:44 PM
TECH Addict

I don't really understand your question, but I'll give it a shot. Are you asking which will help you go faster (a new timing chain or rear end gears?)? If so, don't worry about the timing chain if you're on stock valve train (cam, springs, etc.), if you do a cam/spring swap then upgrade your timing chain, otherwise leave it be. Gears will help you accelerate quicker, assuming you get traction, but then you have to worry about our weak 10-bolt. If I misunderstood your question, clarify it a little.
Old 09-07-2004, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

I think he is talking about timing gear sets, far as I know they do not make timing gear sets for LT1 / LS1 based cars, which makes me sad.

If your going to replace your timing chain, you should get a double timing chain (Rollmaster is fine) and also replace your oil pump too as the LS1 oil pump is shaft mounted right over the timing chain.

And while your at it get yourself a cam
Old 09-07-2004, 05:18 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I was talking timing gears VS timing chains.....Sorry for the confusion. Well that is a bumber that they dont make gears for the LS1. As for a oil pump, THANK YOU for that info, I would have never thought about changing that.
As for a cam? I have seen many people talking about 1 particular, 224*? Would this be a good upgrade?

I could use all the research and help I can get....Thanks alot....
Old 09-07-2004, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

I have not done a lot of cam research other than stuff for my solid roller plans, I have 242/248@050 .608/.612 110 cam (TREX) in my car right now and it is a LOT of cam for a daily driven car, just look through other posts and see what people are running, we get about 3-5 cam posts per day in this section.