Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Things I learned the hard way doing H/C

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 12:49 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Things I learned the hard way doing H/C

1. Make sure the pen magnets you use aren't cheap POS's. Extend them and give them a tug just to make sure the ends are attached well.

2. When you are dropping the oil pan it would be best to drain the oil. Also a 10-12" extension and a swivel socket go a long way to get at some of the bolts

3. When installing a JWIS Double Roller MAKE SURE that the crank gear is seated fully. In the alignment slots on the inside of the crank gear should look flush with the metal piece on the crank. Otherwise you find out that after you time it and put the oil pump on that you have to take it all apart again since the chain will rub the inside of the oil pump.

4. If when installing the heads you realize you put the one with the sensor on the passanger side and the one with the plug on the driver's side switch the sensors and not the heads (luckily I only pulled one bolt before I figured that one out )

5. When you are putting something back on PUT IT ON COMPLETELY. Take any breaks in between so you make sure you actually do all the steps. My brain will tell me I'm done when I did half of the job so I have to be careful.

6. Don't work when you are tired or rushing to get something done.

7. Unless you want to make a ghetto tool out of a short 24mm socket, a 5/8" grade-8 nut, some magna-steel and a T-50 Torx bit I would suggest you borrow an impact gun and use it while your radiator is out when doing an ASP alternator overdrive pulley. Once you put the fans in an electric gun for example won't fit (not that you'd buy it and take it back)

8. Most definately get the longer crank bolt. Taking that out was a piece of cake with a good set of 3-jaw pullers and some elbow grease.

9. Wear gloves when pulling the radiator otherwise you'll get many small razor-like cuts.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you had a blast .
Old 09-09-2004, 02:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnny5
2. When you are dropping the oil pan it would be best to drain the oil.
Holy cow man it sounds like you really did have a blast!! But hey, congrats one your new setup though!!
Old 09-09-2004, 03:56 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good stuff, thanks for taking the time to post.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Some one had fun. I have found when installing a pulley that an air chizle and the bolt head ( threads are cut off) Will install the first part of the pully 1/2 3/4 inch. Then just put the bolt in and impact that MFer.