Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White smoke antifreeze smell.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 12:54 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default White smoke antifreeze smell.

Made two passes at the track N/A. First pass no problem, second pass no problem. I turned the car off it sat for 10 minutes. I started it, it blew out white smoke and smelled. Drove it to the trailer 200 feet. Someone told me it was smoking. I started it back up no smoke, no smell. Let it sit for 30 minutes. Started it again no smoke no smell. Oil looks fine, no antifreeze in exhaust. Water is right on in radiator. What do you think happened. It was only my fourth track pass on new motor. Dynoed the night before, A/F right on. Timimg 28 deg. running 104 oct.??? What do you think. Also NO spark retard on the scan master.
Old 09-18-2004, 02:34 PM
TECH Regular

I would do a cylinder leak down test. I bet you have a bad head gasket, even though you could not find antifreeze in the exhaust. It probably leaked while you had the engine good and hot after the run, then cooled and is not doing it as bad.
Old 09-18-2004, 02:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cstick
I would do a cylinder leak down test. I bet you have a bad head gasket, even though you could not find antifreeze in the exhaust. It probably leaked while you had the engine good and hot after the run, then cooled and is not doing it as bad.

you probably burnt most of the coolant thats in your cylinders. when my 280z blew the head gasket it smoked for a bit, but after runnin it a few times, most of the coolant had been burnt/mixed with the oil. may not be pure enough to vaporize and smoke now. definitely leakdown or pull the heads and check.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your heads used ARP studs, did you retorque the heads after the intial warm up cycle? Usually they require three retorques to achieve the final torque load.

It could be as simple as that.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW, how do you like having the scanmaster?
Old 09-20-2004, 11:34 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

I havn't re-checked the head torque. It's a pita! with the shaft mounts!!! But I will check them. I have never heard of that before. Do you think it hurt the gasket? BTW, I like the scanmaster. I think it's a great tool! I have the arp. What did you torque them to? Thanks Andy.
Old 09-21-2004, 12:36 AM
9 Second Club

I agree do a leak down test on it. Sounds like we got the same problem. I blew both my head gaskets, and am running the same exact motor/gasket/stud setup you are and I didn't retorque my studs either. Good luck with it and keep us posted, I'm curious what you find.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:52 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

I started it last night to pull it out of the trailer. No smoke or smell at all?!?!?!?! I don't get it. I have no idea what happened.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:36 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LASTLS1
Made two passes at the track N/A. First pass no problem, second pass no problem. I turned the car off it sat for 10 minutes. I started it, it blew out white smoke and smelled. Drove it to the trailer 200 feet. Someone told me it was smoking. I started it back up no smoke, no smell. Let it sit for 30 minutes. Started it again no smoke no smell. Oil looks fine, no antifreeze in exhaust. Water is right on in radiator. What do you think happened. It was only my fourth track pass on new motor. Dynoed the night before, A/F right on. Timimg 28 deg. running 104 oct.??? What do you think. Also NO spark retard on the scan master.
I would do a few more passes to be sure before I took heads off. You could double check the torque on your headbolts. Sounds like a waterjacket leak, hopefully not a hairline crack in your head, these do expand when hot.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:21 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,103 Likes on 723 Posts

Checked coolant level in the radiator?
Old 09-22-2004, 12:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LASTLS1
Do you think it hurt the gasket?
yes.....I would plan on tossing the head gaskets in the trash and starting over......

I personally have never had to retorqued my ARP head studs and have never had a problem. Everyone says "oh you need to retorque" but I checked my old setup a few times and EVERY TIME the torque wrench clicked immediately (no retorque needed). When you torque your heads on, did you do them in one pass (ie: set the torque wrench to 65lbs and torque?) or did you do it in steps?
Old 09-22-2004, 12:02 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,103 Likes on 723 Posts

I would do a leakdown personally.