Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which oil pump, timing chain, & valvetrain?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 04:07 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Which oil pump, timing chain, & valvetrain?

I plan on upgrading to one of the bigger cams (T-Rex, G5X-3, Magic Stick 3, etc.) and I was wondering which oil pump, timing chain, and valvetrain to use? I still have the stock oil pump and timing chain with 63000 miles on them with roughly 30 passes and a moderate amount of street racing. I really wanna change the chain and pump for insurance, so I was wondering what would be the best parts to use? Also, which valvetrain do I need to run for the cams listed about? If there is anything else that needs to be changed, please let me know. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2004, 08:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ported ls6 oil pump from tsp was the best mod yet. the oil pressure is like 15-20psi higher than it used to. I got the dual adjustable timing chain, also from tsp, and that is a bit thick, so you gotta watch out when you're installing it so you don't pinch anything. I found a post on this board a long time ago that perfectly described the procedure. commence search!
Old 10-28-2004, 12:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going with a JWIS C5R chain on my setup. It's like 150 from TR and the best part is you can use the stock bottom sprocket. Ported LS6 oil pump is great. Hardend push rods and if you have the heads off you might as well swap in some comp cams R lifters. Double valve springs and you can use your stock rockers but I'd go with some after market ones like YT or Harland Sharp. Might as well do it right the first time so you dont have to worry about breaking a weak stock part.
~Rob
Old 10-28-2004, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Stock LS6 oil pump for about 85 bux at the stealership. Great pressure, 45 psi idle, 70 psi WOT.

JWIS chain from the manufacturers themselves, 95 bux + shipping.

Dual springs with titanium retainers and hardened pushrods.