Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cams and durability

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 10:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cams and durability

Ok I'm pretty new to the LS1 but I've heard it's a very resilient motor. Here's the deal, I want a cam, but I want a little input from you all first, becuase I'm sure everyone here has a boat load more knowledge than I do when it comes to internal on an LS1. I have a 2002 Trans AM WS6, does anyone know the durations and degress on the stock cam? I would also like some recommendations on a mild cam for a swap. I'm looking for about 50 HP gain (I'm assuming thats mild) It's going to be daily driven as soon as I get back to the states, a little lope to her but nothing crazy. Also does anyone know how this will affect the durability and life time of my motor. Thats the kicker, I want some power gained but don't want to sacrifice my motor. I just got this car and have wanteed one for a long time and don't want to through in a new bump stick and a few weeks later be replacing the block from a thrown rod or anything of that nature. Or does someone have any other suggestions how to get that kind of power from an internal mod, that would be cheaper/ smarter/ easier/ better for my engine. and definetly not NO2. Thanks a ton.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Make sure you have the supporting boltons before you do the cam. A 50 rwhp gain is gonna require a fairly big cam. I would suggest a tr 224/224 on a 112. That cam gives nice driveability and power gains while also having decent lope. If you wanna go a little bigger try something like the futral fm11.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

just get a blower and you'll be set
Old 11-01-2004, 01:03 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cam guide in sig.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:28 AM
11 Second Club

First, a cam, in and of itself, is not going to be the cause of a "thrown rod" no matter how big it is. Second, as already stated, a 50 rwhp gain is asking a lot from a cam alone and will take a stout one. The only thing a big cam with aggressive ramps will do is wear out your valvetrain components more quickly especially the springs.