Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H/C Set-up Questions. Please Help the Noob!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 09:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question H/C Set-up Questions. Please Help the Noob!

Hey guys,

This is actually my first post on here. I’ve been browsing for about a year but never really had a question because I was never really ready to “jump” into some serious engine mods.

I’ve got a 02 SS M-6. I’ve got a lid, GMMG, Kooks 1 ¾ Headers, ORY and that’s about it. (Pathetic I know)

My question is this; I plan to bite the bullet this January and go ahead and order my heads and cam. I was looking into getting:

• PRC Dual Valve Spring Kit Rated Up to .660" Lift
• Precision Race Components 5.3L Stage 2.5 Cylinder Heads
• TSP Custom Torquer Camshaft 233/233 .589/.589 112 LSA
• TSP Hardened Pushrods
• GM Heads/Cam Bolt & Gasket Kit
• TSP Ported LS6 Oil Pump
• Rollmaster Double-Roller Heat-Treated Timing Set

I would be safe with this set-up, right? No clearance issues?

Do you guys think this set up would make somewhere around 450 rwhp? I’m right around 350 as of right now.

Do you think I could go with the TSP Magic Stick v. 3 and not fly-cut? I’m pretty sure I would have to but it’s worth a chance just to ask for the hell of it.

I know that it really means nothing to have the numbers so after the funds come back to a decent level after this plunge, I plan to do full suspension before it see’s the track. So for right now, I would be happy with a number instead of a track time (just for now) I would be shooting for somewhere in the 11’s with drag radials though. I just want a weekend warrior for lack of a better term. Sorry for the long post. Thanks for any help guys!
Old 11-10-2004, 10:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can never go wrong with a setup from TSP

I wouldn't think you would have to flycut with the Torquer, but not 100% sure. They recently did a car with PRC heads and the Magic Stick cam, so give them a call and see if they had to cut or not. Flycutting is no big deal though, especially if you are going to have an them or and experienced shop do the install. The guys over at TSP are great and they will help you with anything you need.
Old 11-10-2004, 10:49 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CamaroCain
You can never go wrong with a setup from TSP

I wouldn't think you would have to flycut with the Torquer, but not 100% sure. They recently did a car with PRC heads and the Magic Stick cam, so give them a call and see if they had to cut or not. Flycutting is no big deal though, especially if you are going to have an them or and experienced shop do the install. The guys over at TSP are great and they will help you with anything you need.

We've got a group of guys who know a **** load about F-bodies that help eachother out with installs. They know their stuff and are no stranger to head and cam swaps. They would be helping me with the install. I'm actually about to call TSP and get the word from them. I'm pretty sure they had to cut but hey, it's always worth a try huh?
Old 11-10-2004, 10:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

found this link

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/207313-tsp-magic-stick-prc-heads-a4-dyno-results.html
Old 11-10-2004, 11:20 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CamaroCain

Well I just called TSP and let me just say that Trevor absolutly kicks ***! Thank you so much for helping me out. I must have kept him on the phone for 30 minutes and he was patient and answered every question that I threw at him.

Well, now for what I found out...

Taking Trevor's advice I decided to go with:

TSP Custom Torquer Camshaft 233/233 .589/.589 112 LSA

Precision Race Components Dual Valve Spring Kit Rated Up to .660" Lift

Precision Race Components 5.3L Stage II Cylinder Heads (Unmilled)

TSP Hardened Pushrods

GM Heads/Cam Bolt & Gasket Kit

TSP Ported LS6 Oil Pump

Rollmaster Double-Roller Heat-Treated Timing Set

ARP Head Studs

This should be damn near the perfect set-up for what I want. He said the torquer is one of the few cams over .230 duration that maintains midrange and the runners on the heads will let the cam flow like it wants to and since they are 5.3 heads I'll even get the compression ratio that I want at a nice 10.8 : 1 and it will also add to midrange.

It's going to love the 6th to 3rd gear drop at a 70mph roll. I can't wait. Time to put in an order.

Thanks for the help CamaroCain and Trevor!