Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

msd coil for ls1/ls6 cars?? with some programmer due out too?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 12:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default msd coil for ls1/ls6 cars?? with some programmer due out too?

what is this.. heres a link to tr's website with the msd coil for ls1's listed http://www.thunderracing.com/catalog...vid=3&pcid=103

and here is the article copied... someone tell me what this is what it does and how it might help my stock motor with nitrous... adding a fairly large cam soon.. any thoughts?

"Finally a performance replacement coil for the popular Gen III GM small block! This engine, most notably the LS-1 and LS-6, is fast becoming a favorite performance engine. But, not just in Camaros, the new GTO and Corvettes - also in muscle cars and street rods.

The complex electronic controls of the original coils presented the aftermarket with a challenge as the drivers that control the firing of the coils are built into the OE models. MSD engineers were able to design an advanced circuit that will operate with the factory electronics of the Gen III engine controls while producing a higher output spark. Not only do you get a higher voltage spark, but the coil will deliver multiple sparks! That’s right - multiple spark discharge coils! Notice that the coil has two connectors molded into the custom housing.

One accepts the factory coil connector, the other is for an upcoming ignition controller. (This controller is still in the development stages but it will allow you to program functions of the ignition.) The new coils mount in place of most factory LS-1 and LS-6 coils.
Add to:
Part # Product Price My Cart Wish List
17-8245 MSD Blaster Coil for LS1/LS6 $68.99 "
Old 12-12-2004, 10:35 AM
10 Second Club

here's holley's version http://holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Pr...C/800-501.html i've seen one in use here in florida on jerry davis' car pictured here. scroll down http://www.vincihighperformance.com/fbodyls1.html
Old 12-12-2004, 03:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds kinda cool, but that's a lot of money for coils. i think that price is for EACH coil....and you need 8!
Old 12-12-2004, 05:29 PM
11 Second Club

yea those are for each coil! i wouldnt get any unless you need to reaplace a couple of the stock ones, then i would go ahead and get the rest of'em as well
Old 12-13-2004, 12:09 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

MSD's new coils are supposed to be out in March or April, and are supposed to be 30% hotter than stock. They have a small handful of working protoypes. I'm not sure if they are going to be worth it, we'll have to see. FWIW coils are that expensive they are not cheap.