Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Howmany bolts to drop oil pan to get to pickup tube?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Howmany bolts to drop oil pan to get to pickup tube?

Reading the ls1howto and this is where it gets grey.

I am trying to install a Rollmaster and I have to get to the oil pump pickup tube. I have 5 bolts completelly removed, 4 others loose and out a little, and one behind the filter that I can't even get the socket on to it.It seems like the plastic from the bellhousing is in the way. Should I pull the filter? This would make the ten 10mm bolts

And then is this enough to do it? I read that I might have to try and do the two 15mm ones on the back. I didn't try those but tried some other on the bottom and oil started seeping out so I quickely tightened it. Will this do it or are there others?

Also, dumb question should I drain the oil or just take out the
filter?

Thanks
Old 12-31-2004, 07:23 PM
TECH Regular

You need to pull all 10 plus the two 15 mm bolts from the bell housing. I recall it was a lot easier to also pull the oil level sender from above the oil filter also.

You will be dropping the crossmember to completely remove the oil pan if you are not very careful with the pickup tube bolt when it goes back in.

Also the rollmaster is thicker than the stock chain so you will find the fitting of the pickup tube quite a pain since you really can't get much leverage on it. I did mine when the motor was out for heads and cam and it was a heck of a lot ezier upside down on an engine stand. <g>

Good Luck to you.

Perry
Old 01-01-2005, 02:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Perry Kincy
You need to pull all 10 plus the two 15 mm bolts from the bell housing. I recall it was a lot easier to also pull the oil level sender from above the oil filter also.

You will be dropping the crossmember to completely remove the oil pan if you are not very careful with the pickup tube bolt when it goes back in.

Also the rollmaster is thicker than the stock chain so you will find the fitting of the pickup tube quite a pain since you really can't get much leverage on it. I did mine when the motor was out for heads and cam and it was a heck of a lot ezier upside down on an engine stand. <g>

Good Luck to you.

Perry
So I guess I should plan to remove the filter. Maybe I can get an open end wrench on that bolt. Thanks

So how come you dont need a new oil pan gasket when you drop the pan? I mean, thank god you don't.

I don't plan on dropping the pan so I will be extremely careful with that bolt. I think I wil use some solder, magnet etc to hold on to that and I will be extra careful with the o-ring.

I know I am being ****, but I never really looked closely at the lobes to really inspect them on the new shaft. Don't get me wrong, I cleaned it good with break cleaner inside and out, Stuck a paper towel and rod throught the inside, cleaned each individual lobe, lubed it good with fresh oil but never scrutinized each lobe. I also banged a lobe on the side of the block, not hard, but clumsy. Should I pull it out and reinspect it? Or am I just being crazy. Don't want to try my luck twice with the lifters even though I am using rods. Am I nuts?

Last edited by BLASTER; 01-01-2005 at 02:41 AM.