Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 09:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Cam Question

Sounds Stupid... What is the biggest size cam i could put in my stock ls1 without modifying and other internals? (Besides Valve Springs and the PCM Tuned). I am Considering Speed Inc's Ls1 Head and Cam Package. Any imput would be great....Thanks
Old 01-07-2005, 03:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TMOWS6
Sounds Stupid... What is the biggest size cam i could put in my stock ls1 without modifying and other internals? (Besides Valve Springs and the PCM Tuned). I am Considering Speed Inc's Ls1 Head and Cam Package. Any imput would be great....Thanks
1) Why do you want to know how big you can go? Bigger is not always better.
2) You will want to get headers first.
3) You will need a high stall converter first as well. The bigger the cam, the bigger the converter should be to optimize. Note: My car is an example of too little stall for the cam.
4) SEARCH is your friend.
5) To even attempt to recommend a cam there are things to take into consideration such as your setup (which by your sig is not cam ready), your projected use for the car, personal tolerances, your goals, etc etc.
6) You will be lucky to get any real responses to a question like this.

Edit: I might as well tell you this. You can go pretty F-ing big nowadays on stock bottom end (SBE) motors. Check out the G5X3, G5X4 (juggernaut), teh T-rex, etc etc to see how big you can go. The thing about them is that you have to match the rest of the car to them, and this does not mean the bottom end. This means exhaust and gears/converter size and supporting bolt-ons more than anything else.
Old 01-07-2005, 07:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

DAMN ... now thats a good answer!

try your question again with ALOT more info and ill try to help...
Old 01-07-2005, 08:09 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by M6HuggerSS
DAMN ... now thats a good answer!
Thanks, I tried to quickly cover all the main points for TOTAL noobs without being too much of an a**.

Originally Posted by M6HuggerSS
try your question again with ALOT more info and ill try to help...

We (and by we I mostly mean people how know a lot more than me) need a lot more info to work with. Simply telling you the biggest current cam you can fit probably won't help you.