Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can someone walk me thru this top end cleaner method???

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 10:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default can someone walk me thru this top end cleaner method???

first of all, i have searched and people seem to wanna do it differently. let me see if i have it right: pull the rubber hose off of the passenger side of the tb, but leave it connected to the intake. start sucking the cleaner in really really slowly thru the tb end of the hose. keep your hand on the throttle, bumping it up a lil bit so the car wont die. then suck up the last 1/3 of the cleaner really fast. then i see some people are shutting the car off right away, and start it up later to let all the smoke out....while some leave it running and let it idle until all the smoke is out. can someone walk me thru exactly wut i need to do here please??
Old 01-16-2005, 12:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The35thZ
first of all, i have searched and people seem to wanna do it differently. let me see if i have it right: pull the rubber hose off of the passenger side of the tb, but leave it connected to the intake. start sucking the cleaner in really really slowly thru the tb end of the hose. keep your hand on the throttle, bumping it up a lil bit so the car wont die. then suck up the last 1/3 of the cleaner really fast. then i see some people are shutting the car off right away, and start it up later to let all the smoke out....while some leave it running and let it idle until all the smoke is out. can someone walk me thru exactly wut i need to do here please??
I let mine kill right as the last bit goes in, then let it sit about 6-12 hours and start it up and let it run about 15 minutes. It will smoke like crazy, I drove mine a few miles then changed the oil.

Eric
Old 01-16-2005, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The procedure you listed is correct. The only thing I see different is how long people let it sit. I let my GM top end cleaner sit for an hour (as per the GM tech's response). Then I started it up. He said the longer it smokes the more carbon it is taking off. Mine smoked for almost an hour!!

He also stressed that you must change out spark plugs and change the oil right after. I had a set of old O2 sensors that I put in place of the good ones to make sure they wern't affected also.