Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Internal Gurus I need help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 12:21 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Internal Gurus I need help!

Yes I'm a newbie to the internal thing but I am having the worst time figuring out what the hell is wrong with my car. 2001 Trans Am M6

Mods are: Lid, Catback, Ported TB, Cags, Short shifter, Z06 Clutch replacement and thats it for now. 38,000 miles, regular maintenance.

The car has a horrible miss at idle which causes a shake in the car, happens randomly and probably every 2-3 seconds. Car runs pretty good, but seems down on power.

I've done-top end cleaner, full injection cleaner, new spark plugs, the stock wires looked good, fuel filter, no ses light.

My car still has this miss. The only thing I can think of is when I first got the car I missed a shift 3-2 before I got a new shifter. No loud ticking or clacking noise, just a lil bit worse gas mileage and this miss. I'm starting to think maybe i have a bent pushrod or two. What the hell can create a miss like this? The car feels like it has a cam in it and doesn't feel strong unless I really get into it. I'm frustrated, please help
Old 01-28-2005, 12:28 PM
TECH Regular

anybody in Northern VA wanna come by and help a new guy to the internal world pull off the valve covers for the first time?
Old 01-28-2005, 01:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recheck the obvious stuff 1st before opening the top. Plugs(look at all eight for any oddities), plug wires, coil pack leads, injector leads. Wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up an inexpensive OBDII scanner(Actron or equivilant)to help iscolate this and future problems.

Got a tank of bad gas? Possible moisture in the system? Try some dry gas?

If the miss was the result of popped spring or bent PR, you should've thrown a light I would think. At least that's my experience. If you pull the covers and find nothing amiss(NO broken springs/bent PR's), do a leak down.

Just some thoughts... hope it's a simple fix.... Good luck.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Regular

gracias. no bad gas, i'll re-look over everything but still really lost. Got some advice on how to do a compression test to find out if it is mechanical, i plan on doing that also. I really don't think its internal but none of the maintenance items/cleaning items are doing anything for it. I cleaned my maf 2 days ago and nothing. STill got the stumble. The only thing I can think of is my stock wires are still on and they looked good the last tiem I checked but maybe i should ditch those for new ones. After that who knows. An inexpensive code reader, where and how much? That would be good to have, can it detect codes even if I'm not throwing a light? I'm not throwing any lights right now
Old 01-28-2005, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

that happened to me once, turned out to be a loose spark plug wire. might wanna check that out or get some new wires? make sure the boots are on tight on the coil packs and the spark plug.
Old 01-28-2005, 02:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

It could be something else but I would say a bad plug wire. What type of plugs did you install? Get some MSD plug wires. I really like mine.

Bill