Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MTI Y1, LG G5X3, TSP MS3 or which other cam?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 09:56 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MTI Y1, LG G5X3, TSP MS3 or which other cam?

Ok, I am looking into doing a cam swap very soon. I have a 2000 M6 Z28, I will have stock heads, might just clean them up and do a little self porting, nothing major, unmilled. I will be doing full exhaust with the cam swap as well. Very shortly after I will be getting a spec stage 3 clutch, and then LS6 intake, pulley, TB, and eventually a 9" if I ever get the money. Ok, this is my only car, so it's a daily driver and I am looking to get the most power out of a cam swap, but yet maintaining driveability/streetability. I know there are many different meanings for those terms, its all preference, I want a lope, I want people to know I have a cam, but when I have the AC on at idle, I don't want the car stalling on me. A lot of that depends on the tune, which I will deffinitely be getting, I just have to find a reputable shop, until then, it may go untuned for a few weeks, but I won't be getting on it or really drag racing it until then. Ok so out of those three cams, which one do you guys reccomend?
MTI Y1 234/240 .598/.608 113 lsa
LGM G5X3 2??/2?? .600/.610 114 lsa
TSP MS3 237/242 .603/.609 113 lsa

Or do you guys have any other cams to add? Im looking for a 113-114 lsa to get just a little better driveability. My goals are +400rwhp cam only, I know that it probably won't happen until I do the rest of the bolt ons. When I get the 9", I want to hit 11's also. I know you guys are probably saying that wait until I get enough money to do everything, but since this is my daily driver, I won't have a chance for a while. Pretty soon I will be able to drive another car for a week or more depending on how long the cam swap takes, I know it can be done in a weekend easily, and I have a decent amount of mechanic skills, but I don't have the time between work and college. Last factor, pricing, it seems like TSP will be the cheapiest, followed by MTI, then LGM, price deffinitely is a big factor, since im on a college budget, but if one cam is a lot better then another, then price might not be the bigger factor... thanks guys.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Last factor, pricing, it seems like TSP will be the cheapiest
Sounds to me you have your answer right there TSP cams DO make good power
Old 02-01-2005, 10:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I see where you mention drivability. A lot of that has to do with how well the car is tuned. I know the G5X3 is mild sounding through LT's and a stock Z06 exhaust tuned. It did add just over 50rwhp with adding that cam and LT's, and hit a hair over 400, but is it worth the extra money over the others? My opinion is that it isn't. Of those 3 I would go with the TSP cam. Don't forget the dual springs and hardened pushrods with either of those cams though. You can hit 400rwhp with a slightly smaller cam and spend less on valve train upgrades though. Like the FM11, 918 springs and stock pushrods.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:28 AM
8 Second Club

I talked to MTI yesterday about the Y1, they told me to forget about it on a stock bottom end. They said it pulls forever past 7000. Apparently there is no advance built into it? They also said it's a 112+0 not a 113, I don't understand why they wouldn't make it a 113+4 or +2. I gues they don't intend to sell many of them. The MS3 looks nice but in every dyno that I have seen it seems to lack peak torque. There are alot of Z06's that are cam and headers only and make 430+ with the G5X3.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Vortech
I talked to MTI yesterday about the Y1, they told me to forget about it on a stock bottom end. They said it pulls forever past 7000. Apparently there is no advance built into it? They also said it's a 112+0 not a 113, I don't understand why they wouldn't make it a 113+4 or +2. I gues they don't intend to sell many of them. The MS3 looks nice but in every dyno that I have seen it seems to lack peak torque. There are alot of Z06's that are cam and headers only and make 430+ with the G5X3.
Good to know. I guess that takes the Y1 of his list. This particular Z0 dynoed low stock, just above 350. It's got over 100K miles on it and we are still working out bugs.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:38 AM
TECH Regular

I would deffinitely get all the valvetrain mods needed with the cam, TSP's pricing on the whole cam kit is deffinitely a good deal it seems like. Well I guess MTI's Y1 cam is out then, I'll have to look into the Futural motorsports cams, thanks guys, keep em coming!
Old 02-01-2005, 10:42 AM
8 Second Club

FWIW my Z dynoed 374 stock-that's because I broke it in at the track . FWIW bro- u should dyno your car before the cam-what if you put one these monster cams and you still don't break 400? U could have a low dynoing car. There are alot cars that make really good power with small 224 cams-its all about the combo.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:52 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With all of the bolt-ons in place, stock cylinder heads, and a quality tune, our MS3 camshaft will normally add 60-65 RWHP. It will cross over the factory camshaft at 2700-2800 RPM. With normal bolt-ons (i.e. long tube headers, off-road y-pipe, induction, ported throttle body, pulley, etc.), the MS3 will make 415-420 RWHP with factory LS1 heads. The best we've had on our dyno is 427 RWHP. This was with an LS6 intake, factory water pump, and running through true duals. It makes excellent power, and 11's will be a walk in the park. Just wait until you see our cam-only results this weekend with the MS3.

Feel free to give me a call or e-mail me at jason@texas-speed.com if you have any questions or concerns. I'm here to help!

Jason
Texas Speed & Performance
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 02-01-2005, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
With all of the bolt-ons in place, stock cylinder heads, and a quality tune, our MS3 camshaft will normally add 60-65 RWHP. It will cross over the factory camshaft at 2700-2800 RPM. With normal bolt-ons (i.e. long tube headers, off-road y-pipe, induction, ported throttle body, pulley, etc.), the MS3 will make 415-420 RWHP with factory LS1 heads. The best we've had on our dyno is 427 RWHP. This was with an LS6 intake, factory water pump, and running through true duals. It makes excellent power, and 11's will be a walk in the park. Just wait until you see our cam-only results this weekend with the MS3.

Feel free to give me a call or e-mail me at jason@texas-speed.com if you have any questions or concerns. I'm here to help!

Jason
sounds nice
those 3 cams you first suggested are big to daily drive. FWIW. 11's are more traction and rear survival than 10hp here or there.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:10 PM
TECH Regular

I am looking for a pretty big cam to daily drive, I think with the right amount of tuning though I can make it a good daily driver. As long as I keep my right foot outta it, I don't think it will be all that hard to drive everyday, I want a nice lope, let people know my car is cammed. Jason, thanks for all your help, I've sent you another PM, I think you will be hearing from me shortly, I am very interested in your results cam only. Does anyone out there have a MS3 in there daily driver? Thanks for all the responses.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:35 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our shipping/receiving manager, Brian, has an MS3 in his daily-driver '01 Z28 A4. It's his only mode of transportation, rain, snow or shine! We have quite a few customers running this camshaft in their daily drivers. CamaroCain had it in her previous daily driver Z28 that had a baby carseat in it sometimes. The car ran 10.80's in the 100-degree summer heat with the MS3 and a set of heads.

Feel free to give me a call if you have any other questions or if you'd like to get one coming to you.

Jason
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com

Quick Reply: MTI Y1, LG G5X3, TSP MS3 or which other cam?