Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Spring Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 02:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Valve Spring Question

I KNOW I need to change my valve springs bad... but I'm just curious as to how much power I may be losing from worn out springs? I know I will lose some, but not exactly sure. My car is down on power, but it also has 110k miles on it, so I know that's partly to blame.

Tuned.... it made 360 hp with LT's, lid, Corsa, and a F1 cam (230/226 .591/.569 112LSA) with worn out 918's. Before the cam, it made around 345... I'd like to think I would gain more than 15 hp from a cam alone. Now I know it will be down on power from the mileage, but I didn't expect as much as I'm seeing here. So I'm thinking the worn out valve springs could be the rest of the problem. Any advice.... other than change the springs of course.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Impossible to say but you'll really be down on power if one of them floats or breaks and pops a hole in the piston!

Do a compression test, replace the springs, and then let's see where you are.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DaddySS
Impossible to say but you'll really be down on power if one of them floats or breaks and pops a hole in the piston!

Do a compression test, replace the springs, and then let's see where you are.
Yah, I planned on doing a compression test also.... I just know the springs need changing, which is why I was curious.