Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your thoughts on Ported vs regular LS6 oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 03:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
i bought a stock ls6 pump from a member on this board, and ported THE HELL out of it. not just the openings, but ported some of the material out of the entire casting on the inside. i am in the process of cleaning it up right now, but i REALLY opened up the two intlets/outlets. only paid $45 for mine.

you know, its important that the sides are close to the rotating rings... you didnt enlarge any of that area did ya? have any pics?
Old 02-07-2005, 04:09 PM
BJM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zamboxl
so if you got low oil pressure putting in a ported pump won't increase the oil pressure/ oil flow. also anyone out there got any exp with the slp ported ls6 oil pumps.
Strictly speaking the oil system is a series of restrictions preventing oil from flowing. One of the restrictions is the pump body itself so porting it lowers the system's back pressure slightly for a given rate of oil flow in (liters/minute say).

The volume flow rate will not/cannot change. About the only thing you accomplish is the parasitic load of the pump goes down a little. This is also why a lower viscosity oil reduces oil pressure, the oil moves through the engine more easily and the back pressure doesn't climb as high since the pump works less hard.

For anyone who is interested the oil in a journal bearing is actually at 1000's of psi in the loaded portion of the oil film between the bearing and the crankshaft. If the oil inlet hole were placed there the oil would be pushed back into the pump overcoming the 50-60 psi relief spring and your engine would die in seconds. The oil is actually introduced in the unloaded portion of the bearing (stare at the hole locations for a while and you will see). The pumps only job is to provide fresh oil to replace the oil sluffed out the sides of the bearing from the previous revolution. Therefore pressure doesn't really matter, the pressure is just the easiest indirect way of measuring oil flow through the engine.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

If I was going to have an all out race car, $500.00 for the oil pump might be piece of mind. For the normal street car with common modifications, Which most of the cars on here are, the ported LS6 manifold should apply ample oil pressure. I did see an increase of maybe 10 pounds of oil pressure with the ported LS6 over the stock Y2K ls1 pump.
Old 02-07-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just replaced my pump with a stock LS6 pump when I did my first cam swap. I think it was like 65 bux or so. Idles at about 45 psi. Driving around town is usually about 60 psi. WOT is about 75 psi. I really didn't see the need to spend the extra cash for the ported one.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:07 AM
TECH Regular

Katech
Old 02-08-2005, 07:27 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stocker will work fine in most applications. It's not uncommon at all for people to just leave a stock pump in place for a cam swap. If you have a 97-00 pump then yeah it's worth upgrading. Is it worth going to a aftermarket ported pump, that's your decision. As others said it does increase the volume of the pump, which may help some in a motor that is gonna run alittle more in the upper rpms. It's your call. I just put a stock LS6 pump back in. I got a pretty good deal on a new LS6 pump and just left it at that.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:39 AM
10 Second Club

Yea, well, since my car is a 00, but made in late 99, I know I have a old style LS1 pump, so I went with the Katech ported LS6 pump...

The shimming may work, but for my needs, the ported LS6 will do just fine.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kossuth
Stocker will work fine in most applications. It's not uncommon at all for people to just leave a stock pump in place for a cam swap. If you have a 97-00 pump then yeah it's worth upgrading. Is it worth going to a aftermarket ported pump, that's your decision. As others said it does increase the volume of the pump, which may help some in a motor that is gonna run alittle more in the upper rpms. It's your call. I just put a stock LS6 pump back in. I got a pretty good deal on a new LS6 pump and just left it at that.
it does not increase the volume.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

I don't see what's wrong with the stock LS1 pumps. I get 45psi at hot idle, 60 cruise, and 70 WOT with 79k. Any more volumne then that, I'd get a bigger oil pan as LS1's can have problems with oil draining back to the pan fast enough under prolonged G's. People use stock oil pumps all the time on LT1's and GEN 1 small blocks and are just fine, and those engines get lower pressure across the board then we do with the stock spring. Lingenfelter himself swore by the stock LT1 pump. Unless you have sludge buildup in the pan and you have a faulty 98 pump, I think $500 is a waste of money for a cam/heads LS1.

Jason
Old 02-23-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Quick Time
We are having on sales on them. $550 for the pump and cover.

is it made of aluminum or gold?
Old 02-23-2005, 05:05 PM
11 Second Club

what pump does the 02 fbod come with.. someone told me 02 cars had a ls6 oil pump... above someone siad the 01's and 02's are better, but is it a ls6 pump, or just a updated ls1pump..
Old 02-24-2005, 02:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by cgworth
is it made of aluminum or gold?
Ditto! For us working class guys, $500 for an oil pump is not realistic. Must be for all race cars.
Old 02-23-2015, 01:20 PM
Teching In

I have a 2000 LQ4 pump that I hand ported, and I'm having NDT'd to ensure there are no cracks in the housing. Any reason not to use it? What is the deal with the pre-2001 pumps? I have heard they suck, but never with any explanation.

Quick Reply: Your thoughts on Ported vs regular LS6 oil pump