Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help me pick a cam!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help me pick a cam!!!!!

I know this topic has been talked about a lot, and I have done extensive research on this and I can not come up with one. I am looking for a cam that will make good power but will have good driveabilty and good for daily driving. I also don't want something very harsh on the drivetrain either. Also I live in VA so it will need to pass emissions. Also when doing a cam swap is it worth it to put a set of heads on it. One of my buddies was like its not worth it to just do a cam, you need to get a set of heads too. The only thing with that is that heads are really expensive. Is it possible to find a set of used heads for around 900 bucks(is it bad to buy used heads?). Can someone please tell me everthing I need to change for a cam swap and about how much will I be spending on all the parts including the price of the cam. Thanks in advance. See sig for info on car, this would also be going with LTs and some kind of aftermarket TB.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:49 AM
10 Second Club

you dont need a set of heads....do a mild cam for emissions a FMS F11 cam will probably pass emissions on a 114LSA, look at my setup i have a FMS F13 and a set of used TEA 5.3s cut .015 i paid 900 for the heads(only had 2000miles on them) sent them to TEA for cleaning and milling they did that for 50bux sold my stockers for 250 so i got 700 in heads 375 for a cam some LT headers ORP and boom 440rwhp for cheap
hell if you want to go cam only you can make 400rwhp and still pass emissions i had a 224 581 112 cam LT's ORP a catback no cutout, stock underdrive pulley stock tbody and made 396rwhp.....just remember lots of options to choose from so read up on this stuff before you buy
Old 02-13-2005, 11:50 AM
TECH Resident

Texas speeds 228 cam would be good for ya. Heads are not manditory I would wait and save up and get some new decent heads like AFR 205s.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Smile

Originally Posted by NBM2k2SS
I know this topic has been talked about a lot, and I have done extensive research on this and I can not come up with one. I am looking for a cam that will make good power but will have good driveabilty and good for daily driving. I also don't want something very harsh on the drivetrain either. Also I live in VA so it will need to pass emissions.
My requirements are similar to yours, and I'm down to a short list, so I will try to help.

Currently, I have to cams to call sponsors about on Monday.

(1) Comp Cams LS1 Camshaft
Part number 54-414-11, LS1 XR269HR-14
216 / 220 .525 / .532 114 LSA 1300-6300 RPM Power Band. Computer Tuning Required with automatic transmission cars. One of our most popular cams...This has proven to be a very well balanced camshaft in that it makes good power across the entire RPM range. Works well with Crane 1.8 Roller Rockers. $399.99
Another LS1Tech poster said, >>"I had this cam before on my 99 TA, made ~370 (M6), used LS6 02 springs for 30K untill I sold the car."<<
View Dyno Graph

(2) Im also looking at the Lunati Family of cams:
http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLin...CC/Chevy6.html

3rd on down. 55003LUN
HYDRAULIC ROLLER, Fair idle. High performance cam. Lots of mid-range torque and upper horsepower. 2000-5000
Intake 282° Exhaust 221° Lift .526"/.534"
A sponsor I emailed even recommended the 55004LUN. He said >>"You might want to check out their pn# 55004, which I keep in stock. This cam will make good power, plus it is valvespring friendly. It is a 558/558 221/221 at .050 with a 114 LSA. It goes for $350.00."<<

I replied in my email to the sponsor, >>"Since you keep it in stock, I'll ask it this way, would you sell it to an older guy that you knew would be driving the car for years?
I emailed back to ask him - - -
What about gas mileage? I've gotten ~ 30mpg in sixth gear on long, highway stretches. This "All out performance" cam going to change that?
Can I use the GM Part # LS6 valve springs?
Can I use anyone's stock-length chrome moly pushrods for LS1/LS2 applications?

Originally Posted by NBM2k2SS
Can someone please tell me everthing I need to change for a cam swap and about how much will I be spending on all the parts including the price of the cam. Thanks in advance. See sig for info on car, this would also be going with LTs and some kind of aftermarket TB.
For everything you may need for the cam swap, look here:
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=23

Now it's not really fair to ask how much you will be spending! Camshafts can cost between $205 to $429 at least. Springs between $90 and more than $200. You will only know after you have chosen your parts.

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Please help me pick a cam!!!!!