Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MTI C2 cam to TR T-ReX complete!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 09:10 PM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default MTI C2 cam to TR T-ReX complete!

Finally completed the swap a couple days ago, just hadnt gotten around to posting up how things went. For the most part, everything went smooth. The only problem I ran into was degreeing the cam in. The dial indicator I was using didnt have enough travel, so I tried to do what I could with it, but turned out things couldnt be accurate. Also, the oil in the lifter I must have pushed out because there was slight flex on it was I pushed on the pushrod. So if I wasnt careful, things could be thrown off. Then the pushrod would get stuck on the down side, so I had to make sure it was going down. So when degreeing your cam in, be sure to watch out for those things because your numbers will be thrown off. The degree wheel I had wasnt anything spectacular, but a degree wheel at that. It didnt read past 90º, so I had to add if that makes sense. It read TDC, 10, 20, 30,...90. But nothing over 90. Anyhow, I found peak lift, backed off .100", then turned clockwise till I hit .020", recorded that number, then continued to peak and then on the backside till I hit the other side of .020" and recorded that number. Added those 2 numbers, added 180, divided by 2, and subtracted the smaller of the 2 numbers and I got 108.25. This was obtained by retarding it 2º because installed straight up it came out to 106.25. Anyhow, rolled the engine over until I got oil pressure, put it all back together, and fired her up. It wouldnt keep idle, but I could definately tell it was monsterous. I took it out for a drive and finally got it to catch its idle. It now idles. I still have to go get it tuned, but it definately sounds sick! The lope is definately more aggressive and the pop is a lot more harder/louder. I didnt notice any bucking as I have cruised it for the past 2 days in town, but I have 4.10s and a PT4400, so Im sure that helps. I cant wait to get the car tuned, for good weather to come around, and to take her to the track. I'll probably have it tuned this week and start my weight reduction plans. I hope to see 10.70s as that is my goal. I dont think I could get close to the record, but I will definately be happy for a 10.70 slip. My current best with a 3330 raceweight and C2 cam is a 10.94, so I think I have a chance at a 10.70. We'll see. But other than the issues I mentioned, everything else went fine. I'm really glad that I bought the Crane spring compressor because it made changing the springs cake. I highly recommend it as it was highly recommended to me. I can now say myself, degree your cam in. If its a race application and clearance is tight, then degreeing a cam is a must. Its not hard and if you have the right tools, it doesnt take long at all. Precision is the key though. I picked up the indicator from Harbor Frieght for a whopping $6.99 plus tax. Cant beat that. Anyhow, just thought I would pass on the good news. Thanks.