Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different cyclinder head questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 09:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different cyclinder head questions

On my 2000 Vette I am thinking of installing a Pro-charger but more likely a 402 short block like the one offered by SDPC. I have ported heads (no flow numbers) that I guess would classify as the so called Stage 2 heads. They have 2.02 intake and 1.57 exhaust valves. My question is can I have these heads reworked for the bigger engine and would that be cost effective. Or would it be better to just go LS6. Finally, would I be able to make a significant HP increase by reworking or buying new heads over heads that are already ported. Sorry for being redundant. Oh, one more thing, the ports on my heads are smooth as glass, does that mean they were hand ported or hand finished.

Gary
Old 02-15-2005, 11:53 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It sounds like your going to want a large chamber head with which ever setup you decide on. I'd suggest looking for a pair of 6.0l truck heads to go with. You'll get the benefit of the larger chamber and the better flowing ports and save $$$$$ from the more expensive LS6 castings. Porting the 6.0l heads and installing larger valves will also be a great help.
Without seeing pictures of your current heads, it's nearly impossible to determine if they're worth using. Any chance of posting some pics?

Richard
Old 02-16-2005, 02:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mt.Dave
On my 2000 Vette I am thinking of installing a Pro-charger but more likely a 402 short block like the one offered by SDPC. I have ported heads (no flow numbers) that I guess would classify as the so called Stage 2 heads. They have 2.02 intake and 1.57 exhaust valves. My question is can I have these heads reworked for the bigger engine and would that be cost effective. Or would it be better to just go LS6. Finally, would I be able to make a significant HP increase by reworking or buying new heads over heads that are already ported. Sorry for being redundant. Oh, one more thing, the ports on my heads are smooth as glass, does that mean they were hand ported or hand finished.

Gary
A better cylinder head, weather it be on a naturally aspirated engine or a forced induction engine is always important. The cost/benefit ratio is pretty low in your case. A blown engine loves good cylinder heads just as much as an agressive naturally aspirated engine does. I would suggest an upgrade to a 2.080 intake valve and a 1.600 exhaust valve. These bigger valves will aid in cylinder filling which equates to horsepower.

The 6.0L heads are a good choice for people that are going to be using a blower or a turbo. Their large combustion chamber aides in dropping the compression ratio, which will allow you to run more boost, which will yield more horsepower. They flow just about what an LS6 casting will flow, but at a much lower price. Again, a very low cost/benefit ratio.

A shiny head doesn't indicate a good heads. You should take the heads to a reputable machine shop and have them flowed on a flowbench. That's one of the best ways to determine their value.