Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Running a T-Rex on a 383 w/ Stock heads and 3.73s?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 09:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Running a T-Rex on a 383 w/ Stock heads and 3.73s?

Guys I've really been considering a T-ReX Cam from thunder racing for my 383.
Their article says
Thunder Racing Custom Camshaft - T-ReX v.2 - 242/248 - .608/.612 - 110 lsa 3500-6700 RPM Power Band. Violent mid-range & high RPM power. Requires computer tuning, 4000+ converter on autos, 4.10's or greater on manual trans cars. Due to the fast ramp rate of this camshaft, the use of 1.8 rockers is not recommended. Due to the extreme nature of this camshaft, piston to valve clearance must be verified when using modified cylinder heads.
Are the stock rockers 1.7? Will this cam be driveable with 3.73's? I still have stock heads and valves..
She is my daily driver.
Valvetrain has LS6 Springs, Titanium Retainers, and chromeoly pushrods.

Is any one else running a 383 with 3.73's?

I was thinking since the powerband starts at 3500 it might kill some of my low rpm wheel spin. My Big TQ kicks in real low and even with 315's its very hard to launch on the street.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Stock rockers are 1.7..and they are going to take a beating with this cam.
Its hard to say what effect the stock heads will have on your driveability.
My cam is a little nastier...but I have great heads and 90mm...and 4.10s...I have some surging at 2000rpms but other that that I think it is perfectly driveable...most people wouldnt.

The heads are definately your restriction which Im sure you know. You have a combo that no one esle probably has...so you tell us what its like.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought you were going either turbo or blower???????

id say save your $$$ and get heads
Old 02-24-2005, 09:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Exclamation

Originally Posted by thechef
i thought you were going either turbo or blower???????
id say save your $$$ and get heads
My Turbo project I'm guessing is gonna run me about 10-15K including Heads/Turbo Cam.. So considering my recent near death and hospital bills. I'm really short on cash. So it's gonna be a year or two..
This will be my last and final mod for the year..

Install a Nasty NA cam and Tune it.
Then keep it like that till I can afford to save up the money to do my turbo project all at once. (1-3 years from now)
Old 02-24-2005, 10:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Question

Originally Posted by SAM98WS6
Stock rockers are 1.7..and they are going to take a beating with this cam.
Its hard to say what effect the stock heads will have on your driveability.
My cam is a little nastier...but I have great heads and 90mm...and 4.10s...I have some surging at 2000rpms but other that that I think it is perfectly driveable...most people wouldnt.
The heads are definately your restriction which Im sure you know. You have a combo that no one esle probably has...so you tell us what its like.
What valvetrain adjustments do you suggest I make with this cam?????????
Rockers, Lifters, Springs, etc etc.. ??? If so which ones..???
I'm guessing this cam is very doable because you sound like you have the same mentality as I do when it comes to daily driveability.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:06 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by D3IMOS
What valvetrain adjustments do you suggest I make with this cam?????????
Rockers, Lifters, Springs, etc etc.. ??? If so which ones..???
yes, yes, yes...im sure thunder could recommend what would work best but i know you need some stiff dual springs which tend to be rougher on lifters so you might wanna get new lifters and while your at it strenghen/lighten your valvetrain with some new rockers...it'll be a few more bucks out of your pocket but will be your best bet in the long run IMO.
Old 02-24-2005, 10:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Exclamation

Originally Posted by foff667
yes, yes, yes...im sure thunder could recommend what would work best but i know you need some stiff dual springs which tend to be rougher on lifters so you might wanna get new lifters and while your at it strenghen/lighten your valvetrain with some new rockers...it'll be a few more bucks out of your pocket but will be your best bet in the long run IMO.
I appreciate it bro. I think you're right. I think they have some cam kits. I'll give them a call and see What springs, rockers, and lifters they recommend with the cam.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ya know I just had the worst experience talkin to some guy at TR. I've been a customer for several years and angie always treats me with the best respect. There must be some new guy there cause I told him the details of my car and then he was like tellin me I didn't tell him that. He even Asked me what FI was then pretty much told me I didn't know what I was talkin about.
I'm just gonna wait till later and talk to angie..
Old 02-24-2005, 10:36 PM
TECH Regular

I can't believe no one has pointed out that he's planing on using LS6 springs with this. You'll need a good dual valve spring to run the T-Rex. I honestly don't suggest the T-Rex. I would talk to one of the many sponsers who build engines and ask them for a cam recomendation for a 383.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by LS1Maniac
I can't believe no one has pointed out that he's planing on using LS6 springs with this. You'll need a good dual valve spring to run the T-Rex. I honestly don't suggest the T-Rex. I would talk to one of the many sponsers who build engines and ask them for a cam recomendation for a 383.
I"m sorry where did I say I was stayin with LS6 Springs? Or did I ask what I need to upgrade too?
Old 02-25-2005, 05:47 PM
TECH Regular

I"m sorry where did I say I was stayin with LS6 Springs? Or did I ask what I need to upgrade too?
Meh sorry, it was almost 4am when I posted that.

Reguardless, with an engine that size you can go with a much bigger cam than a T-Rex. Talk with one of the sponsers and they can custom grind you a more appropriate cam.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Meh sorry, it was almost 4am when I posted that.

Reguardless, with an engine that size you can go with a much bigger cam than a T-Rex. Talk with one of the sponsers and they can custom grind you a more appropriate cam.
I'm definateltygonna have to get a custom grind especially since I can't afford to do the heads right now. I'm lookin at springs, retainers cam etc etc max no more then 1000 on parts bro.. I'm strapped.
Old 02-28-2005, 09:10 PM
TECH Regular

I'm definateltygonna have to get a custom grind especially since I can't afford to do the heads right now. I'm lookin at springs, retainers cam etc etc max no more then 1000 on parts bro.. I'm strapped.
A custom grind will cost just as much as any other cam. Unless of course you want to buy used.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

A custom grind will cost just as much as any other cam. Unless of course you want to buy used.
Yep but then there is valvetrain compenents I need to upgrade too. Lifters, rockers, etc etc.. That is when I start seein over 1k.