Sponsored by:

Stock piston to valve clearance

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 02:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock piston to valve clearance

Greetings all,
does anyone have any idea what the stock piston to valve clearance is for a 2001 LS1? I'm trying to get a ballpark figure for a cam change. I will also be measuring the actual clearance at the time of the cam change. Thanks for your help!
Old 03-01-2005, 11:18 AM
Teching In

Default Someone's got to know this!

Oh well, another unanswered question.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe the reason nobody knows this is because knowing the clearance dosnt really help you any. Everyone knows the stock cam does not have p to v clearance issues. You cant simply take the difference in lift between the stock and aftermarket cam, and see how it jives with the stock p to v clearance, there are other factors that come into play. The closest p to v isnt at TDC, its on one side or another, which is why durations and cam profiles come into play when calculating (approximate) p to v clearance. In the end, you cant really know how the cam is going to fi until you have all the parts in the engine, and clay on the pistons.

Sorry but your question goes on unanswered still.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:48 PM
Teching In

Default Thankx

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
Maybe the reason nobody knows this is because knowing the clearance dosnt really help you any. Everyone knows the stock cam does not have p to v clearance issues. You cant simply take the difference in lift between the stock and aftermarket cam, and see how it jives with the stock p to v clearance, there are other factors that come into play. The closest p to v isnt at TDC, its on one side or another, which is why durations and cam profiles come into play when calculating (approximate) p to v clearance. In the end, you cant really know how the cam is going to fi until you have all the parts in the engine, and clay on the pistons.

Sorry but your question goes on unanswered still.

Thanks for the info. I am fully aware of the "other" factors involved with piston to valve clearance. One of the biggest factors, or actually "facts" is a better word, is that piston to valve measurement should be done 8-12 degrees before and after TDC, as this is where the clearance is critical, and is also the point where the valves will be closest to the piston. I also know that duration can help with clearance, as it can be used in the clearancing process if necessary; it can also "do you in" if it is ignored! I just figured that I would kick a few things around while I was awaiting parts. I would never install a cam without degreeing it. I would hate to have invested big bucks in an engine build and have it ruined by a cam that came with the wrong cam card, miss labelled box, or even ground wrong. Just curious I guess.

Quick Reply: Stock piston to valve clearance