Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Level Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 12:05 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Oil Level Sensor

Does anyone know exactly how this sensor works? Ive done the searh thing, and the only comment that was made on this subject was someone saying that it's mostly a PCM type thing in that the Oil level sensor was actually measured oil temperature, and that the PCM compared the oil temp to coolant temp, if the coolant temp was hotter than oil temp then the oil level must be below the sensor therefor "low"....

My low oil light comes on sometimes...sometimes it doenst...i can play with the key (turn it to on, light comes on, turn it off then back on and continue until the light goes out...then I can start the car and it will stay off until i kill then engine, and have to restart it again) I know for a fact that it is NOT low on oil

Anyone know what is really going on as far as how the sensor and/or PCM work to determine low oil?? resistance, temp, ????
Old 02-25-2005, 01:23 AM
9 Second Club

I could be wrong. But I think it uses a reed switch.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Resident

hmm...guess im gonna have to pull the sensor on the next oil change and test it...I did put a DMM on it and there was 12v on both wires???

Thanks for the reply...to be honest i didnt think that anyone would, just seems like the low oil sensor just isnt a real common problem.

Anyone else?
Old 02-26-2005, 03:41 AM
TECH Regular

This is on a swap car or? - On my 97 the ls1 triggers that low oil light in a very similar manner.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:09 AM
TECH Resident

I think that we have discussed this before (although it's been a while)...mine's the 97 Special Edition Camaro...LS1 Powered Hows the car running BTW?

I already knew that it was "tripped" via Class 2 serial data...so i know that the dash is wired correctly.

I found out today that the low oil level sensor from 97 thru 02....V6 and V8... are the SAME.
So im going to pull the sensor out of the 3.8 (known good) and swap them to see if this indeed fixes it.

The service tech at Munday Chevrolet said that the sensor itself measures resistance, and temperature.
The PCM compares the oil temp to the coolant temp, if there is a big difference, oil is not touching sensor, therefor.... low.
And/or if resistance is high, oil is not touching the sensor, therefor....low.

Side note- Even though the P/N's changed, the sensors are the same between those years....it was just a P/N Change.

I'll post up what happens...there have been a couple of others that have been looking for this answer also...i believe that they were mostly in the conversion seciton, so I'm not sure if this thread would be better suited there, or here in in Internal Engine.

Last edited by A_W_O_L; 03-11-2005 at 12:18 AM.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:03 PM
TECH Regular

Thing that gets me is that I can do the on / off trick. Its just an every other time light =). Turn it on, oil light, off on, no oil light, drive from LA to san deigo with it off , doesnt come on. Stop the car, turn off. turn, oil light. =) So good luck =D
Old 03-18-2005, 01:37 AM
TECH Resident

Yeah!!! Damn Thing

Quick Reply: Oil Level Sensor