Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spun rod bearing? How can i tell

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 04:08 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spun rod bearing? How can i tell

I've been reading and trying to figure our what exactly am i listening for if you have a spun rod bearing or broken / cracked piston. Mostly i hear people saying there is a tick that starts to develop. What does this tick sound like? What RPM ? Any sound clip? I have a hiss or possibly a tick that kind sounds like a exaust leak but its not.

I've developed some knock when i shut off my car right before its about to stop turning it knocks a few times. Ratteling the whole car. I havent figured out what it is.

Reason im asking is because i had some serious kr going on in my car awhile back and i ran it pretty hard without knowing about it. Now that ive been reading about what could happen im starting to get worried that i may have caused some damage. And starting to hear all kind of noises.

The car idles at 40-45PSI oil pressure. About 60-80 PSI @ WOT
Car has 32k miles. Did the cam swap not long ago. with Comp 918 springs

Last edited by Camaroguy; 04-16-2005 at 04:31 AM.
Old 04-16-2005, 05:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, try to locate the area that the noise is coming from. I'd also pull the plugs to see if there is anything unusual there. A spun bearing usually deteriorates pretty quickly, and if there was a cracked piston you'd get lots of blow by coming out of the oil filler cap.
Old 04-16-2005, 05:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

you would know if you spun a bearing. normally, not always but normally you would have a drop in oil pressure, and a ticking that coinsides with the rpms. the faster you go the louder it gets. at least that is what I have seen. only real way to tell is to drop the oil pan. which isnt fun at all.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by DaddySS
First, try to locate the area that the noise is coming from. I'd also pull the plugs to see if there is anything unusual there. A spun bearing usually deteriorates pretty quickly, and if there was a cracked piston you'd get lots of blow by coming out of the oil filler cap.
By the oil filer cap you mean the cap where i fill my oil up at, would there be oil trying to escape from under the cap flowing down the side?
Kinda like the power steering fluid cap? How that fluid always leaks out from under the cap?
Old 04-16-2005, 01:13 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Camaroguy
By the oil filer cap you mean the cap where i fill my oil up at, would there be oil trying to escape from under the cap flowing down the side?
Kinda like the power steering fluid cap? How that fluid always leaks out from under the cap?
i think he means there would be excessive crankcase pressures due to blowby from the cracked piston.