Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low oil miles & engine work. Change or not?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Question Low oil miles & engine work. Change or not?

This is the scenario:

I am going to be doing some performance work on my 2002 T/A. Being installed is the performance cam/valve springs, timing chain, ported oil pump. I have Redline oil in the sump.

I had intended to change the oil after my swap, but really, the oil has less than 600 miles on it because I didn’t drive the car over the winter. I’ve got practically clean oil in there!

I know that late-model roller cams like those in the GM LS1 don’t “break-in” like the old non-roller varieties, and you don't use an "assembly lube" on the lobes or bearings.

But I’m still wondering about my metals content being high in the oil and about the occasional piece of small dirt from opening the valve covers, front cover, etc.

What are my options?
Should I just change the filter & add another quart after the engine’s been run a bit?
Or
Should I go the expensive route and dump this oil/filter and put all new in?
Old 04-16-2005, 10:49 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Change it. It'll get a bunch of the foreign objects from the swap out of your motor
Old 04-16-2005, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

since when is changing your oil an expensive route?
you are talking about the longevity of your engine here.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

You should use assembly lube on the cam journals, just not on the lobes. Run the engine for a couple miles to let the oil clean out anything. Then dump the oil after 20-30 minutes of driving and swap the filter.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by strokedls1
You should use assembly lube on the cam journals, just not on the lobes.
Interesting about the assembly lube, because it isn't mentioned often at all. One of the sites quoted most often by ppl here at LS1tech for cam install information is LS1Howto.com.
Notice this part:
Now we need to prep the new camshaft. If you have some wet towels or brake cleaner, clean the cam. Try to get inside the center of the camshaft (it's hollow) to get any gunk out of there. Some cams come very filthy from the vendors, some come very clean. It's always a good idea to check.

Now, grab some fresh motor oil and pour it onto the new cam. Get everything coated nicely.
Are we sure about the need for assembly lube?
Old 04-17-2005, 02:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

We use assembly on every motor and no issues. I am not a big believer in using motor oil for assembly. It's your motor so you have to make the call. 10 dollars for assembly lube or 1.5 for motor oil.