Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help, cracking noise coming from engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 06:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help, cracking noise coming from engine

im having a bit of a problem with my new car, it makes a little rattling noise from the engine area. it comes from behind the engine, i think. nothing is really wrong with it, it runs strong and all. it only happens sometimes after i drive it a while. im just wondering if you all know what it might be. it really doesnt bother me but i just want to make sure its nothing serious. the noise is sort of a cracking noise that is heard after car is turned off. not really to loud either, you can only hear it with the hood up.
btw the car is an 01 z28 w/25k miles.

another question: what would happen if the exhaust system was not tighten up properly. ive heard it can make a wierd sound as well, sort of like a rumbling sound. im asking this because im not sure is my exhaust shop tighten everything down right. what is the process of doing this.
thanks
michael
Old 04-27-2005, 09:25 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The sound you get after you turn it off is normal as hot exhaust system parts contract. If it makes a lot of noise you can hear while driving around, it is possible something in the exhaust system is not tightened down. There are several joints to check. There's a couple of heat shields here and there around the exhaust also that could be loose or bent and rubbing on something.

Instead of depending on other mechanics or shops, get a floor jack and set of jackstands, raise the car, and get under there and check it out. You'll learn about your car in the process. That's what this forum is all about.