Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cost of tear down, hone, and build

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default cost of tear down, hone, and build

I have a 98 Z28 w/63k miles... I want a forced induction setup and need to lower the compression a little... I'm happy with the stock 346 cubes and want to drop the CR buy changing the pistons... but to do the job right, I need to strip down the block and hone it out a little, right? While I'm at it I'll probably change the rods and rod bolts, and have the crank rebalanced. I know I'll also need:

-new freeze plugs
-new front and rear engine cover seals
-new pan gasket
-new head gasket
-new main bearings

Is that it?? About what will all this stuff cost me?? What does a block honing with torque plates usually cost, and will they have to grind the cam and put in new cam bearings even if I'm not changing cams? I am afraid of getting nickel-and-dimed to death!!!!

Are there any down sides to forged pistons as opposed to hypers-? Cost difference?
Old 05-10-2005, 09:01 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll want to do your rods at the same time and rod bolts if going FI. Do a search.

Nate
Old 05-11-2005, 04:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know a lot of you guys did this... is there anything I am missing from the list?? What is a fair price for a cylinder honing job with torque plates? Do I need to resurface anything with the cam if I put in new cam bearings?

Originally Posted by FastKat
I have a 98 Z28 w/63k miles... I want a forced induction setup and need to lower the compression a little... I'm happy with the stock 346 cubes and want to drop the CR buy changing the pistons... but to do the job right, I need to strip down the block and hone it out a little, right? While I'm at it I'll probably change the rods and rod bolts, and have the crank rebalanced. I know I'll also need:

-new freeze plugs
-new front and rear engine cover seals
-new pan gasket
-new head gasket
-new main bearings

Is that it?? About what will all this stuff cost me?? What does a block honing with torque plates usually cost, and will they have to grind the cam and put in new cam bearings even if I'm not changing cams? I am afraid of getting nickel-and-dimed to death!!!!

Are there any down sides to forged pistons as opposed to hypers-? Cost difference?
Old 05-11-2005, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm.

mechine work will cost any where from 450-650 depending on how much metel has to be added to the crank. This included my main, rod, and cam bearings.

Pistons 600
Rods with bolts. 450 if u use SBC and 600-1300 if u use ls1
Rings 180

then at least 250 for just pidly crap. I think I spent 500 in pidly crap.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

I just rebuilt my block and it was supposed to be an 11:1 compression motor, and the guy was confused with what I wanted, now I have an 8.5:1 compression 347 with Diamond -8.66 cc dished pistons and Eagle H-beam stock length rods. I think I paid $2200. I might be willing to trade call me at 314-757-0206

Quick Reply: cost of tear down, hone, and build