Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help. Loud clicking from motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2005, 10:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help. Loud clicking from motor

My friend just got a complete 02 ls1 motor w 30k miles, tranny, put into his 98 WS6. He has the computer too but he hasnt installed that yet. So the cars been running fine for a few weeks now and today the motor started making this loud clicking maybe ticking noise, not sure which describes it best but its LOUD very loud. I could hear it in a parking lot about 10+ cars away. Anyone know what it is? The motor has all stock internals. Never been sprayed. idle the oil pressure is at 40 PSI.
Could the noise be a spun rod bearing? Did a valve spring break and caused a valve to drop onto the piston?

Last edited by Camaroguy; 06-05-2005 at 11:46 PM.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:30 PM
TECH Resident

Check the spark plugs. Make sure the plugs are in tight and the wires are on. I had the same loud *** ticking noise, and I realized most of my plugs came loose after I replaced them.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kpowr82
Check the spark plugs. Make sure the plugs are in tight and the wires are on. I had the same loud *** ticking noise, and I realized most of my plugs came loose after I replaced them.
Thanks for the advice..

We'll recheck them. I hope its that. It sounds pretty bad.

We put the plugs and wires on when the motor was out
Old 06-06-2005, 12:58 AM
Teching In

Does clicking sound get faster relative to your engines' rev?

I don't know if it applies to LS1, but last time I heard clicking in my car's motor was after I over-rev'd it and bent my valves.

And my buddy's car made LOUD clicking noise after his timing belt slipped on his honda and the valves were hitting the pistons.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:33 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kim307
Does clicking sound get faster relative to your engines' rev?

I don't know if it applies to LS1, but last time I heard clicking in my car's motor was after I over-rev'd it and bent my valves.

And my buddy's car made LOUD clicking noise after his timing belt slipped on his honda and the valves were hitting the pistons.
Yes the clicking gets faster and louder by incraments in the rpms
Old 06-06-2005, 03:54 PM
Launching!

Anyone else have any feedback
Old 06-06-2005, 04:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, the ole screwdriver trick. Or cheap man's stethoscope' basically you put it on parts of the motor and listen on the plastic end with your ear. At least you can narrow it down. AFTER you check the plugs and wires; remember, 2 clicks to get the wires on ( barely audible too ).
Old 06-06-2005, 04:13 PM
12 Second Club

Have u reved the engine high or have u misshifted at all if its a 6spd. A lot of times on LS-1s if u over rev the engine they bend the pushrods happen to me a while back.
Old 06-06-2005, 05:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99Blk Z28
Have u reved the engine high or have u misshifted at all if its a 6spd. A lot of times on LS-1s if u over rev the engine they bend the pushrods happen to me a while back.
The engine has not been over reved or mis shifted. The noise just suddenly came.

If a pushrod is bent it would only making slight tapping sound. Something faintly noticable if you listen for it. Well his noise is extremely loud. Not even turning up your radio can over come the tapping or clicking.
I get the feeling you guys think its kinda quiet. Its very very loud. If i use the listening with the screw driver method i dont think ill be able to hear anything because the noise is so loud. You could hear the tapping or clicking from 10+ cars away or even half way across the parking lot.

Last edited by Camaroguy; 06-06-2005 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:00 PM
Teching In

Wild guess, but maybe the timing chain missed a tooth?
Old 06-09-2005, 01:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Camaroguy
The engine has not been over reved or mis shifted. The noise just suddenly came.

If a pushrod is bent it would only making slight tapping sound. Something faintly noticable if you listen for it. Well his noise is extremely loud. Not even turning up your radio can over come the tapping or clicking.
I get the feeling you guys think its kinda quiet. Its very very loud. If i use the listening with the screw driver method i dont think ill be able to hear anything because the noise is so loud. You could hear the tapping or clicking from 10+ cars away or even half way across the parking lot.
I would have to disagree here the tapping on my car was very loud. You would be suprised how badly u can bend pushrods. As soon as i pulled up after it happen everyone in my house who was watchin tv came out to see what he prob was.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pull the vavle covers off........check them rocker arms. I had the same problem after the motor was rebuilt professionally, and it still happened.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

same problem meaning that really loud tapping......i thought the worst case scenario. It turned out it was a rocker arm that rattled loose and after about an hour and a half the Pontiac dealer fixed it.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:31 AM
Launching!

update.

Took the valve covers off today.

All the rockers were in place. They were pretty tight. None of the springs were broken. All the pushrods were straight.

I took out all the rocker arms and put lock tight on the threads when we put them back. Tightened them back down to 22 ft lbs of torque in a two pass sequance rotating the crack.

I did notice that some of the rocker arms would tighten and not move at all. By moving i mean very very little bit left to right. There is no movment or play up and down, but there was very very little movement right to left around the pivit point of the rocker arm where the bearings are it would slightly have alittle play in there to go right and left. But the whole rocker arm didnt move at all. Some did this and some didnt. Why? Is that normal
Old 06-14-2005, 11:35 AM
Launching!

any other suggestions?
Old 06-14-2005, 11:48 AM
Banned

Default far shot maybe

header leak? that sounds like a ticking kind of? when you put headers/manifolds on, it's a good idea to run the motor for a minute, then re-tighten the exhaust bolts to make sure they didn't back out at all with heat expansion. check your header bolts.

other than that... you've rule out bent pushrods, broken springs, and bad/loose rocker arms. so who knows.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:15 PM
Staging Lane

My rocker arms were giving me the same sound you are describing. The first 4 on the driver side would all wiggle from left to right. When I took them off you could wiggle them back and forth pretty good. I bought some roller rockers, and put them on, and now I have no problems. Does the car hesitate at low rpm? That's what mine did when the rockers were messed up. I would check for a header leak next, and like someone said above, make sure the plugs are in good and the wires on good, and listen for the 2 clicks when putting the wires on. If it's not that, then I would say it would be a valve problem. Check your springs also.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by white_ta
My rocker arms were giving me the same sound you are describing. The first 4 on the driver side would all wiggle from left to right. When I took them off you could wiggle them back and forth pretty good. I bought some roller rockers, and put them on, and now I have no problems. Does the car hesitate at low rpm? That's what mine did when the rockers were messed up. I would check for a header leak next, and like someone said above, make sure the plugs are in good and the wires on good, and listen for the 2 clicks when putting the wires on. If it's not that, then I would say it would be a valve problem. Check your springs also.
Not sure if the car hesitates at lower RPMS. Dont drive it since the noise is soo loud and just sounds bad. Sounds like the piston is shattered or something.

Plugs are all on. The header bolts are all nice and tight. I dunno what else to think of. But it sure sounds like something has come apart from the inside.
Old 07-22-2005, 01:29 PM
Launching!

update:

pulled the motor out of the car. The noise was caused by 2 spun rod bearings. One of the spun rod bearings were pretty bad.. the bearings managed to slide itself under the other and form one..

Does that mean he needs to get a new crank or can that be re surfaced, Does it need to be re surfaced?
Old 07-22-2005, 02:31 PM
Teching In

Spun a rod bearing a couple weeks ago...had to replace the crank and a piston... I actually just bought a lingerfeld shortblock and it is being installed right now