Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

idles extremely low after jumpstart

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idles extremely low after jumpstart

alright, i'm not sure if this is an internal engine question or not, i'm 2 weeks in to the LS1 engine. but here's a weird scenario. Today at work, i left my fog lights on all day. When i came out to the car after work, I tried starting it to no avail. After i got it jumped started, it wouldn't keep its idle. it would drop way below 500 rpm's and i'd have to give it gas to stay afloat. I managed to drive it around the parking lot a few times to see if that'd help it get back on its feet. then, i tried putting it in neutral to see if it'd hold its idle now, and it barely grabbed it at 500 rpm. Its now idleing at 500 still. What the hell?
Old 06-08-2005, 12:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe get it home and give the battery a good charge then disconnect and reconnect it to the car to reset the computer and see if that helps.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

It's called idle relearn after disconnecting your battery or a dead battery.

It will take the car a while to relearn the fuel and timing curves so don't worry about a temporary performance loss.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dlandsvZ28
It's called idle relearn after disconnecting your battery or a dead battery.

It will take the car a while to relearn the fuel and timing curves so don't worry about a temporary performance loss.
Not necassarily. If the battery is not carrying enough power, it will run terrible no matter how long you let it sit there. I know when mine was dead and I jump started it, it idled at 1500 and kept rising, I let it get to about 2500 and shut it off cause it just kept going up. I recharged the battery and put it back in and it ran perfectly. Of course I did the idle relearn but, it was already idling well.