Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant everywhere

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 04:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default coolant everywhere

alright, i flushed my cooling system about a month ago and added too much water to the mix. my system did not drain fully after the flush, so excess water was left in the system. i added half a gallon of pure antifreeze and then filled the other half with water and added all of that. then the system was full, but very water down, only tested -4 on the hydrometer. i figured since we are in summer months now, that it would be ok, but would the watered down mixture make it boil easier too? i thought water had a higher boiling point that antifreeze did. the reason i ask this is because when i got home today after driving you could hear the coolant boiling in the radiator and as soon as i popped the hood it all came bubbling out of the overflow tube. what should i do, should i drain about a half gallon out and then fill up with half a gallon of pure antifreeze(dexcool)? please help. thanks.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:43 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just making sure I understand correctly, you refilled your cooling system with Dexcool and not a glycol base antifreeze, right? The antifreeze should raise the boiling point temp over a water only system. Also, what temp thermostat are you using? Can you tell if the fans are working? If the overheating persists, I would pull the radiator and have it looked at by a shop. Perhaps some scale and dirt flushed out of the block and into the radiatior core tubes.

Good luck,

Richard
Old 06-10-2005, 01:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

But from my understanding, running distilled water in a radiator will run cooler than antifreeze. But can you get away with that in the LS1 since it calls for dexcool?
Old 06-10-2005, 04:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey stang killer;

Cannot recall the BP of straight antifreeze, but,

when you mix pure water in the pure antifreeze you form a eutectic solution (hope my memory is correct). This means that by mixing the two, the end product will have both a higher boiling point and a lower freezing point than either of the two liquids when used alone.

Wow! If I am correct on the term, I haven't used it since the late 1960's!!!!!

If I am wrong, please someone let me know. Gracias.

Steve