Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carbs & Distributor for GEN III Engines

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2005, 08:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carbs & Distributor for GEN III Engines

First, I'm new to this board and new to the Gen III world. I just purchased a low mileage 6L LQ4 at a good price (maybe it's an LQ9 - not sure how to tell). I'm not sure yet what I'll do with it but looking at all my options.
My question for this board is: is it feasible to convert this engine to carburetor and distributor like the old Gen I engines.
I saw in the "How to build High Performance Chevy LS1/LS6 V-8s" book that GM performance parts offers intake manifold and a stand alone ignition system (distributor) for Gen III engines. IMO this would be a lot simpler and cheaper to install than going EFI and GEN III ignition system.
Does anybody have any experience going with carbs and/or distributor on GEN III engines.

Thanks.. Pikanjoe
Old 06-15-2005, 12:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you dont want it, i saw it in chevy high po and well it looks like more work than its worth
Old 06-15-2005, 07:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

You can do a single plane, FI with MSD management box.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The carb articles on the ls1 are really dishonest in that they put heads and a bigger cam on the engine along with the carb and then brag about how much horsepower it makes. why not baseline the head/cam additions with the fuel injection tuned for optimum horsepower like they do with the carb setup...Then compare horsepower and torque. Either these guys are trying to help sell carbs or they are stuck in the past with nostalgia. Carbs suck compared to injection.
Old 06-15-2005, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ChucksZ06
Carbs suck compared to injection.
for driveability and ease of tune purposes, not making power.
not counting intake manifold or cam, its been proven that a carb makes more power/torque than FI, when the carb is properly matched and tuned to the engine. it just takes ALOT more homework to do it with a carburetor
Old 06-15-2005, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by slowpoke96z28
for driveability and ease of tune purposes, not making power.
not counting intake manifold or cam, its been proven that a carb makes more power/torque than FI, when the carb is properly matched and tuned to the engine. it just takes ALOT more homework to do it with a carburetor
Well that has changed with MAFless tuning.