Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think of my bearings...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default What do you think of my bearings...

Okay, I pulled the crank out today, and took a look at my rod and main bearings. The surfaces on the crank for the rods and mains look great. The engine had 51K miles when I pulled it apart (it was out already, and needed a rear main, and a cam (well, I guess it didn't NEED the cam... ) so I decided to do bearings while I was at it.

This is the number one rod, and the center main. There is just a slight wear on the rod bearing (on the rod side, not the cap side) and no other apparent wear on the cap side. The main bearings all look almost new (to me, that's why I want your opinions). All of the rod bearings have the same wear there, on the same side. The bearings illustrated are what all of the rest of their respective types look like.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...id=35079&stc=1
https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...id=35080&stc=1

So, is this normal wear for 51K miles? Everything seems to be on the tight end of spec, and I'm just doing an OEM rebuild, nothing fancy. Federal Mogul bearings on the mains and rods, and GM bolts. I've got a good torque wrench and an torque angle gauge, which I think should be all I need.

Any other tips as I head into this?
Attached Thumbnails What do you think of my bearings...-dsc00699.jpg   What do you think of my bearings...-dsc00701.jpg  
Old 06-16-2005, 08:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

They don't look bad, but if it was me (I'm pricky about this), I would put new bearings and have it balanced and blueprinted.
Old 06-16-2005, 01:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by digitalsolo
Okay, I pulled the crank out today, and took a look at my rod and main bearings. The surfaces on the crank for the rods and mains look great. The engine had 51K miles when I pulled it apart (it was out already, and needed a rear main, and a cam (well, I guess it didn't NEED the cam... ) so I decided to do bearings while I was at it.

This is the number one rod, and the center main. There is just a slight wear on the rod bearing (on the rod side, not the cap side) and no other apparent wear on the cap side. The main bearings all look almost new (to me, that's why I want your opinions). All of the rod bearings have the same wear there, on the same side. The bearings illustrated are what all of the rest of their respective types look like.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...id=35079&stc=1
https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...id=35080&stc=1

So, is this normal wear for 51K miles? Everything seems to be on the tight end of spec, and I'm just doing an OEM rebuild, nothing fancy. Federal Mogul bearings on the mains and rods, and GM bolts. I've got a good torque wrench and an torque angle gauge, which I think should be all I need.

Any other tips as I head into this?
They look perfectly normal..

I prefer Clevite bearings over Federal Mogul stuff though.
Old 06-16-2005, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
They look perfectly normal..

I prefer Clevite bearings over Federal Mogul stuff though.
Funny you said that. I actually picked up Clevite 77s for the rods, and I have the Federal Mogul 952s (or whatever they are) for the mains.

This engine won't be anything too crazy. ~375 RWHP N/A with H/C and probably a 75 shot used VERY rarely. It'll get maybe 2000-3000 miles a year.