Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine installation from the top questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 07:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Question Engine installation from the top questions

Myself and another LS1Tech member ( bigshoe ) will be installing my new motor from the top on Saturday.

Couple of questions:

1. Can you put the headers on or will it not clear everything?

2. Can you put the coil packs on ahead of time?

3. When we removed the engine last October, we had to remove the passenger side engine pedestal from the k-member in order to clear everything. Think we need to leave it out?

4. I know the intake won't clear but looking for help/advise on what can go on the motor ahead of time. Radiator is out but I assume you have to put the waterpump on after?

Thanks, did searches but not too much specific help.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have to do all of that just remove the k-member and install the engine on it.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Viper
Myself and another LS1Tech member ( bigshoe ) will be installing my new motor from the top on Saturday.

Couple of questions:

1. Can you put the headers on or will it not clear everything?

2. Can you put the coil packs on ahead of time?

3. When we removed the engine last October, we had to remove the passenger side engine pedestal from the k-member in order to clear everything. Think we need to leave it out?

4. I know the intake won't clear but looking for help/advise on what can go on the motor ahead of time. Radiator is out but I assume you have to put the waterpump on after?

Thanks, did searches but not too much specific help.
I have come out of the top only once so I am not claming expertise, but when we pulled it it was a long block, installed it was a long block with valve covers/WP/ Intake. no headers..., have pulled them from the bottom and installed almost everything can be installed basically. Also if I recall correctly we did have to install the pedistalls after the motor was "almost there", I wish i could give you exact info, but basically the "less" on the motor from the top will make it somewhat easier
Old 06-17-2005, 07:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

I removed and installed my motor from the top. I didn't have to take the pedistals off the K member to get it back in, but I did have to remove one side to get it out . I didn't put anything back on the motor until I got it in the car . It only took me 20 mins to get it back in and bolted down. It makes it so much easier to do without all the crap on the top of the motor. It was a tight fit to get it back in without the intake and coil packs on the motor . The oil sensor is another PITA to get around , its easy to put all that stuff on when the long block is in the car . Less headaches and chances of breaking something .(Although I am sure it can be done, I like to play it safe) Just my .000000002 cents . . .
Old 06-17-2005, 08:34 AM
Bad Seller Alert

I have pulled them from the top a couple of times. It will clear with the heads on but i would not put the valve covers on. Also the pass. side motor mount needs to come off. The headers need to be put in place before you drop the motor in but not installed on the heads. Just loosely in the engine compartment. I would also pull the tranny out together with the motor. It is very easy that way. It is not very hard to do at all. Just patience. Good luck. Oh and watch out for the oil pressure sensor. Good luck.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys, all great advice. We hope to fire it up within 12 hours of starting tomorrow.

I too broke the oil pressure sending unit last fall when we pulled it. We also dropped the tranny first; pics on my site.
Old 06-17-2005, 05:09 PM
11 Second Club

I prefer to pull out the top over dropping the k-member. I usually pull the headers loose, pull the accessories off the front of the engine, then pull the intake and headers off. So I pull it out as a shortblock. Then I install it back in as a shortblock and install the heads in the car.