Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil consumption and detonation related?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 01:47 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil consumption and detonation related?

My 2001 SS has used about 2 full quarts now in 3000 miles. More and more as of late Ive been getting increased detonation at high rpms during WOT runs. I always run 93 or better usually from Mobil. This amount of oil consumption to me seems awfully high as the car only has 19,000 miles on it. It doesn't smoke and doesnt make too much noise when cold. I have been told by friends however when they are behind me ( ) at WOT that the exhaust smells funny and it seems like there is "crap" coming out of the exhaust, and and sort of a hazy dark colored smoke. Anyway, my question is, is this oil consumption due to the PCV problems I always here about? Is this oil now crudding up my motor causing the detonation? Whats the best way to combat this? (catch can? different PCV? breather?) And then how can I get rid of the detonation once I stop the oil from getting back in there?
Thanks
Old 07-01-2005, 04:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

simple answer is yes. the engineburning oil along with fuel can cause detonation. it sounds like you figured out the problem already. once you fix the oil consumption, the abnormal combustion should go away.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, PCV catch can will not cure it but will reduce it 95%.
and there is always the LS6 PCV mod, some claim it cures it, some say it just reduce it.

Quick Reply: oil consumption and detonation related?