Sponsored by:

Corrosion on unused cam...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Corrosion on unused cam...

Hey guys, it's been a while...

I'm looking to reinstall my stock cam. I just pulled it out of the box I was storing it in, to find that there is some corrosion or cancer on the bearing surfaces. I scraped most of it off with my finger-nail, then lightly went over it with a brass brush and some oil. It cleaned up so that you can't 'feel' it, but you can still 'see' it.

While I'm at it, one or more of the cam bearing surfaces got some scratches that make me quite uneasy. They're easily felt with your finger-nail. They're there from removing the cam...

What do you guys think of this stuff. Could you sleep at night after reinstalling this cam?

A week before you use your truck to go on a camping trip with the family trailer?

Cam bearing corrosion.

Cam bearing scratches. Ignore the stuff on the lobes to the left - it's lint from the old towell I grabbed.

Thanks,
-marc
Old 07-02-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I would install it, curious on why your going back to stock cam? Are you also switching rockers back to stock?
Old 07-02-2005, 04:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 145 Likes on 42 Posts

Default camshaft lobe and bearing surface scratches

Go over the lobes and journals with Scotchbrite. Make sure you clean the cam before installation.

Steve

Originally Posted by marc_w
Hey guys, it's been a while...

I'm looking to reinstall my stock cam. I just pulled it out of the box I was storing it in, to find that there is some corrosion or cancer on the bearing surfaces. I scraped most of it off with my finger-nail, then lightly went over it with a brass brush and some oil. It cleaned up so that you can't 'feel' it, but you can still 'see' it.

While I'm at it, one or more of the cam bearing surfaces got some scratches that make me quite uneasy. They're easily felt with your finger-nail. They're there from removing the cam...

What do you guys think of this stuff. Could you sleep at night after reinstalling this cam?

A week before you use your truck to go on a camping trip with the family trailer?

Cam bearing corrosion.

Cam bearing scratches. Ignore the stuff on the lobes to the left - it's lint from the old towell I grabbed.

Thanks,
-marc
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net
Old 07-02-2005, 05:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sweet. Thanks a lot guys. Yeah, a good cleaning is definitely in order.

Reason for going back to stock cam: Mainly because the time is coming where I can afford a second vehicle -- one which I can go nuts on. I'll probably be slowly moving the truck back to stock-ish condition over the summer... it will be seeing much more tow-duty once another vehicle is around.

That, and I hate to say it, but I have to admit the gas prices are getting the best of me. I drive about 32K a year in this thing... I'm starting to look to squeeze out every last bit of mileage that I can.

I'll still be running the rockers I have here...
Old 07-02-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

wd-40 and crocous cloth or 0000 steel wool will do the trick. wose come to worse, call a machine shop and see what they can do.