Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mild corrosion on used cam, bad thing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default mild corrosion on used cam, bad thing?

Bought a used Futral F11 cam and it has several spots of mild surface rust. I rubbed a few of them on the polished lobe parts of the cam with a towel and they seem to come off, but the core tube of the cam seems to have this orangish tint to it too and looks like it might be some oxidization there as well. I'll have to take detailed pictures when I get home. Its not that bad just made we wonder if its something I should be concerned about. I certainly wouldn't want to start spreading rust on the inside of my engine. I figure this won't happen but just to be sure...
Thanks,
Kevin
Old 07-25-2005, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Clean the surface rust off with a cleaner (brake cleaner, etc). Let it dry, apply cam lube, install.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:57 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I figured I'd use brake cleaner on any parts I get to clear any debris etc., but I wasn't sure if it would remove all the oxidization. I just know that rust can be like a virus and if theres a little bit it can spread, but than I was thinking, it would never spread inside an engine b/c of the oil and movement of the parts. Unless the car sits for a year or something. But I just wanted to be sure.