Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Compression Tests neccessary?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2005, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Are Compression Tests neccessary?

Ok, running compression test and leakdown tests on an LS-1 is a PITA. Because it is so confined and the motor has to be up to operating conditions. My question is that is it really neccessary to do them, I was under the impression that if compression was bad or the cylinder was not firing the way it was suppose to or the motor was down on power that it would throw some sort of code, or the computer would know and let the driver know? right? also, my motor has about 60k miles on it and uses absolutely NO oil. does that mean that everything is sealed up tight and in good shape in the internals of my motor, or is that not a safe indication of that? thanks.
Old 07-31-2005, 09:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude, @ 60k miles there is nothing wrong with your car. If you take care of it and maintain it the way you should the LS1 engine will last you to well over 100k miles. If it isnt running bad and doesnt seem low on power then why do you keep posting this stupid crap???

If it starts running like ****, seems weak, or isnt turning good numbers at the track THEN you are suppose to start doing tests.. But not when it is running perfectly.. damn man.. Just drive the car..
Old 07-31-2005, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

well i bought the car used from a dealership with 59k miles on it, and the guy that had it before me, from talking to him, it seemed like he liked to race the car, and run it pretty hard. and when i got the car i changed the rear end fluids, along with the tranny fluid, and they were both horribly dirty, so this just makes me think that he did not maintain the car as well as he should have. yea, im probably paranoid or whatnot but i just wanna make sure that it is running as well as it is suppose to be, i mean it's a 98, it's 7 years old, stuff wears out. It is not running like ****, and i dont know what an ls1 down on power feels like.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That car is fine bro.. If you want to have some tests done just take it to a quality shop and let them check it out for ya. But, I'm pretty sure its just fine..