Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

give a man a fish:eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime...

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 12:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default give a man a fish:eats for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he eats for a lifetime...

hey guys i am always thinking about what i am going to do with my car and i have my goals in mind and i know what i want. i search and research plenty and i learn things and try to soak up as much as possible. in the end i am left with many great ideas however a lack of knowledge in a few aspects that i feel would make or a break a "perfect" set-up.

there are many things that i would love to know about how various things will affect the overall performance of the engine that will eventually be your pride and joy. the first thing that really gets me is headflow numbers. i completely understand that there are peak numbers midlift, velocity and through all of the research i have done i would honestly be able to make a very good decision on a 346 CI motor, however i am thinking to up the ante a little bit and i am looking more in the direction of a 408.

now when looking at all of the available heads out there i think in the end the three to truly look at would be 6.0l castings, ls6 castings, and AFR 225(all pro is also there but i dont feel it is right for me right now) when viewing the availability on these and the pricing it is easy to say that they are all very...non-budget. and i understand that a 408 will not be very budget friendly, however i would like th ebest bang for my buck once all is said and done.

what kind of flow numbers would be required to make a solid 500 rwhp with a 408 Ci setup. probobly with roughly 6500-7000 rpm peak depending. should i look at flow numbers, or should i look at velocity on a motor this large? are teh afr225's the best choice(i feel that they are for the 346) will they make the goal i am seeking that much more attainable?
will a TEA 5.3l stage 1.5 work on an engine of this size, or will it be a bottleneck? these are all things that i would like to consider, however i am not looking for an exact answer i am looking for the theory behind the correct answer, and then with this knowledge hopefully i can make the best deceision for myself on my personal "perfect" setup.

Thanks
Louie
Old 08-05-2005, 01:01 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...damn all that and i left out the goals.
here is the endn result that i am looking out of a powerplant.

i want at least 500 rwhp NA and the ability to spray about 250 in two stages.
i feel that with this setup most of our nemesis cars will not be able to hang with me while NA without Extreme modification and then if they do have this extreme modification i can spray on them