Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 02:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Engine noise

Hi my best friend just drove 20hrs to WI to buy a 2001 SS it was a 20 hr trip and know the car has a slight tick on the right side of the engine. THe owner says is it piston slsp or something like that that is normal what is he talking about and is it normal or bad. Thanks.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:16 PM
Teching In

Default LS1 Engine noise

My best friend just drove 20 hrs to WI to pick up an 2001 SS. He got there and it has a ticking noise on the right side of the engine. the owner said it was piston slap or something and it was normal. Do any of you guys know about this noise and is it normal or bad.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 92CamaroZ-28
My best friend just drove 20 hrs to WI to pick up an 2001 SS. He got there and it has a ticking noise on the right side of the engine. the owner said it was piston slap or something and it was normal. Do any of you guys know about this noise and is it normal or bad.
www.pistonslap.com

...it's bad
but i also know of very few people with LS1s that plan on keeping the engine stock

it's fixable when you're inside, doing your thing...
Old 08-07-2005, 03:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by firechicken2k
www.pistonslap.com

...it's bad
but i also know of very few people with LS1s that plan on keeping the engine stock

it's fixable when you're inside, doing your thing...
Well not really, a ton of LS1 have it. It is usually pronounced at cold start, then it goes away as the piston expends when warm.

I have it on both my motors and one of them gets pushed hard on nitrous at the track all the time.
Old 08-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Teching In

It could be one of two things. The LS1's have hyperutectic pistons, which means the skirt of the piston has an eliptical shape. That causes the piston slap on some LS1's. But it only does it while it is cold. When it warms up the skirt becomes round.
If it ticks all the time, I bet it's a lifter tapping.
Neither one is a big deal. If it's piston slap, that's the way it's made. You just have to deal with it. If it taps all the time, pull the rockers off and check the pushrods. If there O.K., the rocker probably just backed off. Torque them all back down to 22 ft.-lbs.
Good luck!
Old 08-07-2005, 06:12 PM
TECH Regular

It's normal, a new guy to the LS1 world , would be running for cover, it's common for 01-02's to make that noise.
Don't worry about, you just gotta accept it, kind of like oil compsumption
Old 08-22-2005, 09:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by joshZ28
It could be one of two things. The LS1's have hyperutectic pistons, which means the skirt of the piston has an eliptical shape. That causes the piston slap on some LS1's. But it only does it while it is cold. When it warms up the skirt becomes round.
If it ticks all the time, I bet it's a lifter tapping.
Neither one is a big deal. If it's piston slap, that's the way it's made. You just have to deal with it. If it taps all the time, pull the rockers off and check the pushrods. If there O.K., the rocker probably just backed off. Torque them all back down to 22 ft.-lbs.
Good luck!

Actually hypereutectic refers to there being more than the eutectic equilibrium amount of silicon in the aluminum alloy. Basically the aluminum is super-saturated with silicon.

The rest of your post is good