Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's wrong with my car? (crazy rattling noise)

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 10:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's wrong with my car? (crazy rattling noise)

For a while, my car has been making a loud lawn mower like rattling/grinding noise when i drive it around. IT doesn't make the noise all the time but when i first start it up for the day, its the absolute worst and loudest. I brought it to a shop and they said i am missing an alternator bold, which means the alternator is not secured and is moving around back and forth, which is causing the rattling. I asked them if they could just throw a bolt on it, but they said they could not since the post is stripped, and now i need a whole new alternator. Does this place sound like they gave me a legitame diagnostic, or should i keep looking?
Old 08-18-2005, 12:27 PM
SSU Moderator

alternators are cheap and autozone gives you a lifetime warranty. Fix that, then see if its gone.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by RyanJ
alternators are cheap and autozone gives you a lifetime warranty. Fix that, then see if its gone.

I need a high output alternator though, if i get a new alt its gonna be a high ouput one. My 2 amplifiers draw a total of 160 amps alone (1200 watt amp and a 300 watt speaker amp) , plus all the other car functions are drawing more amps as well, i figure if i change the alt i would be stupid not to get a H.O alt.
Old 08-18-2005, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

if your stocker is doing fine, get the autozone, the lifetime waruntee will cover it if you burn the new one up...

unless you are having charging problems now, I see no need to get a HO one.