Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever checked a cam between 2 centers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 07:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone ever checked a cam between 2 centers?

I bought a custom grind Comp cam for my LT1 and had a buddy check it between 2 centers with a dial indicator. It shows to be .007 out in the middle journal and the ones to each side were between 5 and 6 thousands. Does this sound normal?
Old 08-25-2005, 12:57 AM
On The Tree

depends on spec for your year but it sounds way out of round to me
Old 08-25-2005, 01:15 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 145 Likes on 42 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Default Journal run out

You need to double check that camshaft with V blocks on the front and rear journals. If the cam still shows run out of .007" on the middle journal I would return it.

I always check new cams before installation on my Cam Doctor. This includes checking for bent cams. It is possible to straighten cams with moderate run out (I do this periodically) but this requires experience. Most cams are straightened by the manufacturer when they come off the cam grinder by the way. They are almost never perfectly straight off the machine. This is part of what you are paying for when you purchase a cam.

Steve

Originally Posted by waltsfastz
I bought a custom grind Comp cam for my LT1 and had a buddy check it between 2 centers with a dial indicator. It shows to be .007 out in the middle journal and the ones to each side were between 5 and 6 thousands. Does this sound normal?
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net
Old 08-25-2005, 01:21 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks fellas. I bought it used so Im out of luck there. My father used to strainten and do Crankshaft work so I took it to him to recheck and see what he could do. I think it was mabey layed wrong or dropped because the journal surfaces look good and no signs of abnormal wear and I have seen the car that it was in. Thanks again