Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed MTI S2 cam - no dyno yet

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 10:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed MTI S2 cam - no dyno yet

Well, I have been wanting to put a better cam in my car for the last three years or so and finally got it finished last night. I went with the MTI Stealth 2 cam and, so far, have been very happy with it. The install process went very well, although it was quite a time consuming endeavor. Even with the Crane spring compressor, it still took a while on the spring install - you know, the occasionally dropped valve lock and all the fun of trying to find it afterwards. And I am down in the DFW area and I think I picked the hottest week of the year to do it - not fun.

For those interested or thinking of doing a cam swap -> buy the longer crankshaft bolt at NAPA, it made the new Powerbond pulley install soooo easy. That pulley is a nice piece, btw. I had a pretty decent puller too, so the removal of the old balancer was much easier than I expected from all of what I had heard. Also, buy the two 5/16" wooden dowel rods to shove in the lifter oil galley - it was a piece of cake and no worries of dropped lifters. While you have the timing cover off, replace the front seal and put a little sealer of some kind in the corner where the timing cover meets the oil pan - I did all of this and haven't seen a single drop of oil leaking. These were just a few things that didn't cost me much and saved me a lot of time and headache. And I have to say, what a beautiful engine the LS1 is and an absolute blast to work on - really an awesome little small block that is incredibly well designed.

But, after all was said and done I turned the key and engine busted right off - I had to keep it running and let it die twice. After the third restart it found its idle - rock solid at 800 rpm. It has a really good sound to it - just a hint of a stutter every now and then makes it sound badass. Most people would never know it had an aftermarket cam if you didn't tell them. I have only driven it once since last night and I can definitely feel the difference - hell, I have the rev limit set at stock still and I kept hitting the rev limiter because it revs so much faster and doesn't drop off at 6k like the stock cam did. It pulls like crazy up top but there is really no certain rpm where it just comes alive - it really makes good power across the band or so it feels that way. Maybe its just me, but it feels a bit stronger on the bottom end too - definitely didn't lose anything there. I cranked on the AC - cold as ice - and it never skipped a beat - while driving it never died once. So my initial impression is that this is a great cam for anyone looking for a moderately fat cam with really good driveability. I was going to go with the TR Cheater cam, but when I called up TR they said they really designed that cam for the AFR heads so I kind of shyed away from it after that - although I am sure it would have been a great cam. But I am very happy I went with the MTI Stealth 2.

BTW, I went with the MTI recommended Manley springs, titanium retainers and hardened pushrods. I got a Powerbond SFI approved underdrive pulley from TSP for a helluva price and all my seals and bolts from GM.

Hopefully I will be able to take it to the dyno in a few weeks and I will post what I find out. Just thought I would share my experience for anyone insterested. I have to give props to MTI and TSP for great service and products.
Old 08-26-2005, 10:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep us posted on the dyno results. Glad it all went smooth. How about a sound clip?

Larry
Old 08-26-2005, 11:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately, I don't have a way of getting a soundclip, sorry. I have an 8mm video camera but no way of getting from the camera to my PC.