Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve seals - using exhaust seal on intake

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 07:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Valve seals - using exhaust seal on intake

A lot of folks seem to be using the exhaust seals on both the intake and exhaust (brown ones) rather than the GM black seals on the intake and brown on the exhaust. Is there any downside to this? Are the seals the same internally, i.e., is there something different about the intake seal that helps control the oil better during the intake stroke?

I am thinking of doing this, but GM must have a reason for using both, and since the intake seals are more money (slightly) there must be more to this.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no. I believe the brown ones are designed to withstand higher exhaust temps, so you should be fine.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by vettenuts
A lot of folks seem to be using the exhaust seals on both the intake and exhaust (brown ones) rather than the GM black seals on the intake and brown on the exhaust. Is there any downside to this? Are the seals the same internally, i.e., is there something different about the intake seal that helps control the oil better during the intake stroke?

I am thinking of doing this, but GM must have a reason for using both, and since the intake seals are more money (slightly) there must be more to this.
They're reason for using both is to get you to pay more money. Get all exhaust seals and use them, they'll work perfectly fine.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used all browns and haven't had any problems.