Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few questions about the 5.3L block...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2005, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A few questions about the 5.3L block...

Hey guys, I have a few questions about the 5.3L iron block in the '01 chevys. First, how big of a bore can you get by sleeving the block? I thought I heard somewhere you can get up to a 4.125" bore by sleeving, but I'm not sure. Next, who deals in LS1 engine components? I'm going to hopefully do a pretty nice buildup on my 2001 chevy. If the block can be sleeved up to 4.125 inches, that'll be about 387ci with the stock stroke, and I already have a GM Performance Parts LS1 Hot Cam in it, and I plan on putting in a fully forged rotating assembly, as well as either a Whipplecharger or MagnaCharger making around 9-10 psi. Should I do anything with the heads? I hear they already flow pretty darn well, but I always say there's always room for improvement. Also, when I did the cam swap on the stock engine, it lost a lot of bottom end power. I figured it would lose some, but a friend of mine did a cam swap in a 96 LT1 and it didnt lose much at all, if any. Is this just the design difference I guess, or what? Well, anyway, I appreciate any ideas. Oh, if I leave that same cam in, and it can go to 387ci, with stock heads and the blower, any ideas on a ballpark figure on hp? I was thinkin maybe 550 or so. Well thanks guys!
Old 09-03-2005, 04:38 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

its not worth sleeving the iron blocks, it can be done but its hard on the machining tools and would most likely cost you more money due to that fact. just use the 5.7 or 6.0 alluminum blocks. with the darton wetsleeves a fully machined block ready for final hone will run you ~3400 bucks and have 4.160" bore potental. a darton ls2 drysleeve will run you ~2800 bucks and also has 4.160 potential.

the cheapest and probably your best route though is a 408 done with an iron 6.0 block bored .030 and a 4" stoke. there are plenty of rotating assembly's for that combo. as far as heads i'd go with some stock 317 castings or get a set of PP ls6 style heads setup for the larger bore. get a more blower friendly cam as well.

check out the truck forums at

http://www.performancetrucks.net/forums/