Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ouch... need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 01:22 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ouch... need advice

i had a nitrous backfire caused by running extremely lean earlier this week. engine started to tick loudly so i staretd investigating found out my #3 spark plug was frozen in the head. I managed to get it out but now the threads are damaged. hopefully they can just be tapped and will be fine. the plug was damaged the insulator was cracked and the ground was damaged. which probably is what caused my p0300. found that i had multiple bent pushrods some were slightly bent but 5 were obvious from a distance. pulled the heads and found cylinders 1 and 6 had damage to the faces of the pistons and several other cylinders ppeared to have been hit by the intake valves. i need some advice on where to go from here. i am capable of doing the labor. what all do i need to replace? i cant afford to buy a new shortblock right now. pictures here http://photobucket.com/albums/y209/slpss2000/
Old 09-24-2005, 01:51 AM
On The Tree

honestly, i have seen pistons get hit like that before and get used for quite awhile after...I didn't see any cracks, just some light eyebrows. Correct?
If that is the case, I would check the deck height to ensure that the rods are in good shape and nothing else rears it's head. You might be able to get away with a few minor parts a one major. First, you need to replace your lifters, anytime there is a trauma like that the lifters look good but in the next couple weeks for no apparent reason (Actually because the roller bearing has a flattened section) the lifters will come apart and nicely/evenly disperse's needle bearings through your motor, causing you to then buy ALOT of new parts, ask me how I know, LOL.

Next step, take out the cam, ensure all is well, replace if you want to go a different route this time....you ABSOLUTELY must replace the timing chain!!! Guarantee that is going to/already has come apart. Obviously buying a new set of pushrods along with all this.

The most expensive problem is going to be the heads, judging by your statement money is a limiting factor (When isn't it?). At the minimum most of the valves and all of the springs and locks are going to need to be replaced, the retainers might be ok, but floating valves can take it's toll. With all of what you are looking at, this isn't going to be cheap (It never is), you may want to consider new heads, contact someone like Patriot or TSP, decent heads and if you factor in the cost either are an awesome VALUE. Along with these heads I believe these companies toss in peripheral parts that you are looking into replacing at this point anyways, I believe Patriot is the best "Bang for the buck".

Hope this helps....sorry to hear man, good luck!
Old 09-24-2005, 10:53 AM
Launching!

im talking with my parents about barrowing the money or getting a loan so i can afford to fix it. otherwise the ss is gonna be sitting for a bit
Old 09-24-2005, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Lean on Nitrous is not good. Piston skirts, ring grooves ... could be cracked and a whole bunch of other stuff.
I would yank the motor and check it thoroughly. It is cheaper than puting it back together and have it fail soon after down the road.
For the price of shorblocks nowadays, I would at least take $3K loan and get a fresh shortblock. You could find 241 castings assembled for like 400/450 $$. If you're lucky then reuse cam, and other items.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:20 PM
Launching!

well the motor is almost out of the car now. its down to the block trans is almost out. maybe another hour or 2 after work tonight im gonna pull apart the bottom end and i'llget more pictures. im fully capable of building the bottom end. if the crank and rods are good cam i but pistons and everything and reassemble it myself or would it be better to just buy a shortblock? i've done bottom ends before at school and on a friends car
Old 09-24-2005, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000slpss
well the motor is almost out of the car now. its down to the block trans is almost out. maybe another hour or 2 after work tonight im gonna pull apart the bottom end and i'llget more pictures. im fully capable of building the bottom end. if the crank and rods are good cam i but pistons and everything and reassemble it myself or would it be better to just buy a shortblock? i've done bottom ends before at school and on a friends car
LSx motors are more capricious than SBC or similar old school motors. They need to be internaly balanced and blueprinted.
You can get shortblocs for as little as $2095 with exchange (Lingenfelter).
Shoot a e-mail to LME (Bryan), after the storm passes, or another shop close to you. Bryan is kick *** to deal with and if you explain your situation, I'm sure he will hook you with the best price. Super service.
Also TSP is having 346 shorblock sales. (Jason or Dave)