Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O no... Bad tapping out of nowhere!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 03:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O no... Bad tapping out of nowhere!!

Well I drove home from work at 5am and everything thing was fine. Normal driving no high reving or anything. Then I crank it up at 2pm to go back to work and after about 2 minutes it sounds like I have an exhaust leak. Then after about 10minutes of driving it is tapping like a mother f'er. Slow tap at idle but still loud, start to excel and it's alot loader and goes faster with rpms. I'm taking the valve covers off tonight just thought I would see if anyone has had this happen. I did a search and just saw like over reving stuff. Mine just started on it's on.

70,000 miles
very well taken care of motor
Old 09-28-2005, 03:53 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

Do you think that it could be an exhaust leak? Maybe a blown exhaust manifold gasket. Try to isolate the noise first by careful listening. Use a piece of hose held next to your ear and see if that helps you track things down better.

All my best,

Steve
Old 09-28-2005, 04:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yeah, check your exhaust first. Maybe one of the air tubes broke off? Otherwise if its internal, its not gonna be cheap. How was your oil pressure?
Old 09-28-2005, 05:30 PM
TECH Regular

It's not an exhaust leak...I could tell that before I even popped the hood. Sounds like a really loud lifter. But I havn't pulled everything apart yet. Going to tonight after work, it's gonna suck. I get off at 11pm and then have to do all this and be back in at 10am and work till 11pm. ahhh. damnit...

Hmm, I only glanced at the oil pressure it seemed normal I'll have to check again.

Last edited by DreamState23x; 09-28-2005 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-28-2005, 06:23 PM
11 Second Club

Default tapping

mine did this same thing about a year ago, on the way to work it started tapping sounding like a exhaust leak around the header, i got out and checked and listened, around lunch time i went to eat and it got worse and started ticking louder and increasing as the rpm went up, on the way home it got real loud and loss power for a second. i thought it was a bent or broke pushrod, so i dug into the motor starting from top to bottom, after checking everything it came down to the bottom end, the number 6 rod bearing had spun. i assume it lost oil pressure at some point but in the end thats what happened to mine. hopefully you have a exhaust leak or bent pushrod or loose rockers or loose anything besides it being a spun main or rod bearing.
good luck man
Old 09-28-2005, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

did you all have any misfires along with this issue?? im having a similar issue and ive got the head off. Well im gonna try to replace the valves and springs and then reinstall the head and hope to god, that what my problem is. How do you find out if its a spun bearing? what are the symptoms??
Old 09-28-2005, 07:54 PM
TECH Regular

it might sound stupid, but i had that ticking sound too, exhaust leak. so i got under the car to look at my clamps where i hooked the duals up to the headers cause i figured i bent it out of shape when i scraped my pipes a few days before. couldnt find any leak so i started checkin the header bolts, come to find out #8 plug was loose. It sounded like it was coming from within the motor and resonating thru my headers. so maybe check that?
Old 09-29-2005, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

Used a stethescope(don't know how to spell that) last night, sounds like the #8 and it is louder the closer you get to the inboard side of the head/valve cover(closer to the intake manifold). So I'm guessing bent push rod at the most. I hope. And oil pressure is normal. guess I'll find out this weekend when I pull it apart. Please just be a loose rocker arm or bent push rod...

O, and to answer your question, I didn't have any missfire problems with mine.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

good luck.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that real loud tapping, and after pulling off my valve covers I discovered I bent 6,2,8 cylinders on the Inake side, this happened to me about three years ago. I hope this is your problem also.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:28 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SSDoubleK
I had that real loud tapping, and after pulling off my valve covers I discovered I bent 6,2,8 cylinders on the Inake side, this happened to me about three years ago. I hope this is your problem also.
I take it you bent the valves on the intake side?
Old 10-01-2005, 01:46 AM
TECH Regular

Definitly found the problem. Snapped a push rod in half some how. I have pictures but it says they are too big. Guess I'll put them on yahoo pictures and post a link. They are probrably going to look like crab though cause yahoo is going to majorly down grade them. And it was one of the rods from #8.
Old 10-01-2005, 02:07 AM
TECH Regular

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dre...10.jpg&.src=ph
Old 10-01-2005, 02:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

well, i hope that is my issue...i have the exact same symptoms (spelling?) and i was told it would be piston slap...but it got really bad tongiht....hope it doesnt require a rebuild....taking it to a shop 2morow....wish me luck?...
Old 10-01-2005, 02:32 AM
TECH Regular

your still driving it? mine was parked at a friends about 5 minutes after it started making the noise and you see the damage. Driving on it would be horrible. But good luck hope it's nothing major. I'm glad I didn't take mine to a shop, only took about 45 minuted to remove everything and find that rod.
Old 10-01-2005, 03:32 AM
Launching!

My 98 last week. Good luck
Old 10-01-2005, 12:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

#1 i pulled over and towed it home...never drove on it....worst move ever...and #2 i have a warranty that covers internaly lubricated parts...so i can have them fix it for me....thats why its going to the shop...(towed)
Old 10-01-2005, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

what exactly did you have to remove to find the rod? how much of a pain was it? ad how much to replace it?
Old 10-01-2005, 12:41 PM
TECH Regular

I see why it's going to the shop no

To answer the other question, It's really easy to get to. I took off the coil packs, and that wire bundle that runs to them. Unbolted the valve cover pulled it off. Since I knew the sound was in the back I started there when pulling the rocker arms off. Pulled one(undo one bolt and the rocker comes right off, very easy) Then you can just pull the push rod straight out of it's hole. Simple. Make sure to torque the rocker arms back down. 22ft lbs I believe. If you don't have a torque wrech just rent one from autozone. Took me about 30-45min maybe less.
I thin I might have to order one nobody around here has one. I think they are like $7.00 a piece or something like that.
Old 10-01-2005, 01:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Why not just replace them all unless it is obvious why this one failed. Wouldn't want to get it back together and have another go a week later. Might also want to consider stronger ones as well.