Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What size engine for boost?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 11:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What size engine for boost?

I think i'm about to check myself in the funny farm again I started out wanting to build a 383cid LS1 stroker. I bought the Eagle 4.000" crank, the Eagle 6.100" forged h-beam rods and a set of Diamond blower pistons. I even bought a brand new LS6 block so i can still drive my car while the 383 was being built. Then in the process a saw a few members not making the power they are expecting from adding 40 more cubic inches. Even today it seems like a healthy set of ported heads and a killer cam make about the same rwhp as the strokers are making. But the strokers do have alittle more torque but the head and cam stock cube Ls1's have a huge rpm band. So i'm basically back to square 1. I guess what i want ( atleast for today ) is the engine to make atleast as close to 500 rwhp before i bolt my D1SC kit on. I've looked at doing a 387cid big bore and just spin the hell out of the blower so i make good low end power and use a programmable boost controller to bleed off boost after i hit my target boost number. And i've seen and been in big bore cars and the all bore motor is by far the strongest N/A LS1 i've ever seen. And the motor had a few slipped sleeves and was loosing compression and leaking coolant, plus the cam wasn't that great and this motor STILL made more torque than any stroker that was close to 383 cubes. I think the tuning wasn't even done on that car, it was finished before EDIT hit the streets. Plus the motor sounded insane. Plus a member on here named EZSS had a big bore motor built and i saw it at Atco raceway a few years back now that car was sick!!! Again it was also N/A. It had clutch issues that night and the weather wasn't great and i believe it was in the low low 11's. I'm sure EZSS can tell you the times. I knew that night that was the motor of choice. But i'm looking for any ideas out there and some opinions. I think if i stay with a blower a 370cid to 427cid is a possibility, but i've been talking with companies like LS1SPEED about the T76 single turbo kit and sell the Procharger and save for all the parts to make the whole kit streetable, but i'll keep the cubes down to maybe just a forged stock cube or maybe do the 370cid mini stroker with 14psi and still use my TNT kit to chill the intercooler. I have seen the new F1C head unit The specs are killer. With the CFM that that blower puts out and now the new FMIC's from various companies, the blower route looks very interesting. But please any ideas? i'm open ears. i have a hell of a time with just sticking with a plan and following thru. But i am lucky to have a few buddies who not only own an LS1 f-body but they know how to modify them as well and that helps. But i think even they gave up on me cause i can't decide which course i'm taking

Den
Old 09-29-2005, 01:42 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackNiteWS6
I think i'm about to check myself in the funny farm again I started out wanting to build a 383cid LS1 stroker. I bought the Eagle 4.000" crank, the Eagle 6.100" forged h-beam rods and a set of Diamond blower pistons. I even bought a brand new LS6 block so i can still drive my car while the 383 was being built. Then in the process a saw a few members not making the power they are expecting from adding 40 more cubic inches. Even today it seems like a healthy set of ported heads and a killer cam make about the same rwhp as the strokers are making. But the strokers do have alittle more torque but the head and cam stock cube Ls1's have a huge rpm band. So i'm basically back to square 1. I guess what i want ( atleast for today ) is the engine to make atleast as close to 500 rwhp before i bolt my D1SC kit on. I've looked at doing a 387cid big bore and just spin the hell out of the blower so i make good low end power and use a programmable boost controller to bleed off boost after i hit my target boost number. And i've seen and been in big bore cars and the all bore motor is by far the strongest N/A LS1 i've ever seen. And the motor had a few slipped sleeves and was loosing compression and leaking coolant, plus the cam wasn't that great and this motor STILL made more torque than any stroker that was close to 383 cubes. I think the tuning wasn't even done on that car, it was finished before EDIT hit the streets. Plus the motor sounded insane. Plus a member on here named EZSS had a big bore motor built and i saw it at Atco raceway a few years back now that car was sick!!! Again it was also N/A. It had clutch issues that night and the weather wasn't great and i believe it was in the low low 11's. I'm sure EZSS can tell you the times. I knew that night that was the motor of choice. But i'm looking for any ideas out there and some opinions. I think if i stay with a blower a 370cid to 427cid is a possibility, but i've been talking with companies like LS1SPEED about the T76 single turbo kit and sell the Procharger and save for all the parts to make the whole kit streetable, but i'll keep the cubes down to maybe just a forged stock cube or maybe do the 370cid mini stroker with 14psi and still use my TNT kit to chill the intercooler. I have seen the new F1C head unit The specs are killer. With the CFM that that blower puts out and now the new FMIC's from various companies, the blower route looks very interesting. But please any ideas? i'm open ears. i have a hell of a time with just sticking with a plan and following thru. But i am lucky to have a few buddies who not only own an LS1 f-body but they know how to modify them as well and that helps. But i think even they gave up on me cause i can't decide which course i'm taking

Den
no ****, your all over the place with just this post.

what it comes down to is how much money you have and what type of setup is needed to reach your goal, whatever that may be. honestly since you already have the shortblock for the 383, stick with it. invest in a h/c/i package that will compliment the blower and then go to town. 600rwhp+ shouldnt be a problem for a boosted 383. either build the motor for boost or do it n/a. 500rwhp before the blower isnt gonnna be done w/o some cubes and compression. and it defeats the purposes of adding compression to make power when your just gonna go FI anyway. be smart and come up with a tangible plan.