Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

friends piston slap....

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default friends piston slap....

friend had 01 ss he not on here and iam not to formilar with this but how serious is this? i was told you have to do a rebuild and my friend said if that case he will trade car in... have any of you experienced this and if so what was the out come? it just ticks i got scared so listened to mine but seems fine... he doest know what he should do he like hates his car now and it hat 13k only on it.... any help would be appreicated thanks guys...
Old 10-24-2005, 02:09 PM
TECH Resident

If it goes away when its warmed up, it's fine. GM intentionally designed the pistons to fit loosely in the bores to allow for room for expansion under hard use when things really heat up in there. This saves the bore from serious wear from too much friction. If you look at a high mileage LS1 block that's been disassembled, the cross-hatch is still clearly visible.

My car slaps when cold but goes away after a couple minutes. I used to hate it and thought I got a lemon, but now that I know better, I'm kinda glad I got a slapper then one that doesn't. It just means less pressure on the rings when hot and under hard driving.

Jason
Old 10-24-2005, 02:16 PM
Staging Lane

Checkout Gmpistonslap.com my 02 z71 has this noise.There are very interesting articles on there.None about the ls1 but still a good read.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:01 PM
Launching!

13k, If it's under warrenty and only if it its, tell him to take it to the dealer. He might get a brand new LS1. That what happend to a friend of mine. It was not really noticeable in his case, but he didn't like the sound of it, so he took it in. A week later, a brand new LS1 engine.