Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clacking noise on decel

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 10:46 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clacking noise on decel

Stock 01 with 71k, let off the gas and you hear a clacking noise, sounds like a couple of lifters or maybe timing chain. It does it from 1500 rpms on down to idle and lasts for a second or two after reaching idle. Oil pressure is above 40 at idle and it started doing it before i changed the oil. If it is lifters it sounds like more than 1. Sounds like it could be coming from the front. Does this sound like a worn timing chain?
Old 11-08-2005, 07:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I havnt heard of a worn timing chain. Usually its either broken or not broken. I had that same noise and it was lifters. I got some pitting / spalling on the rollers. If you catch it early, you may be able to salvage your cam, but wait too long and it gets pitted to hell as well.

http://www.ihearyou.com/~tony/lifters/
Old 11-13-2005, 08:39 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now it seems to be doing it all the time, thank god it is still a stock cam. Have new lifters on the way but i will wait till i get headers before i put in a new cam.
Old 11-13-2005, 08:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Theres a good chance that by now, you may have scored the cam up. You may want to look around the boards and see if somebody is selling their stock cam for dirt cheap. If you ordered new lifters, dont forget about new headgaskets, headbolts, and possibly lifter cups (theyre only 5 bucks each). Good luck man.

Quick Reply: Clacking noise on decel