Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Man, I am ready to scrap this project...

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 12:00 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Man, I am ready to scrap this project...

Man, I am ready to scrap this project. Its been almost 3 months since we have started this project and I have one serious headache from all the BS involved with this build. It seems like every step in the process has had its own share of headaches from the machine work to the parts. We've been at a standstill for the last 2 weeks awaiting Vacuum Pumps and Rocker Arms with no answer in site as to when they are coming. I am just at the point of breaking this whole project down and selling everything. I honestly don't ask for alot just be honest and tell me what in the heck is going on.
Phil
Old 11-29-2005, 12:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hang in there and don't give up. I was at that point after taking over a year to finish my LS2 402. I was ready to sell everything at a total loss, but decided to hang in after spending so much time and money. It was well worth it.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:08 PM
TECH Junkie

ahh.... hot rods. I know how you feel. if it's not one thing it's another. Just hang in there. The end results should be awesome
Old 11-29-2005, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One way you can rememdy your waiting, is make sure the company or store, or whoever you're going to get your parts, has them in stock. Or, you can always hit up eBay, because people aren't going to be selling things that they don't have. I don't particularlly know what your project entails, but make sure some of the things you're waiting for can't be temporarily replaced by other things.....ie. stock rocker arms can be used in place temporarily.

Just stick if out and be patient. Patients is virture, and it'll pay off with a well built and a great running engine!

Regards,
Adrian

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Man, I am ready to scrap this project. Its been almost 3 months since we have started this project and I have one serious headache from all the BS involved with this build. It seems like every step in the process has had its own share of headaches from the machine work to the parts. We've been at a standstill for the last 2 weeks awaiting Vacuum Pumps and Rocker Arms with no answer in site as to when they are coming. I am just at the point of breaking this whole project down and selling everything. I honestly don't ask for alot just be honest and tell me what in the heck is going on.
Phil
Old 11-29-2005, 12:31 PM
10 Second Club

Default Hang in there!

Don`t Quit. Just look at it as a work in progress. I`ve been working on my SS ever since I ordered it and drove it home. I do have to admit I` ve wanted to do what you`re talking about.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Took me almost two years to build a SBC 383!!! My friend was like, "Dude, when are you gunna get that engine done?"
"Man, it's only been like, 6 months," I said before he proved tht it had been a year and 6-8 months.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

what were you expecting :p
Old 11-29-2005, 12:50 PM
Launching!

Took me a year to do my LS1/ RX7 swap. Believe me I've experienced your flustration. But in the end I sure am glad I stuck with it !!!
Old 11-29-2005, 12:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a year in to mine already. But I'm not pushing to have it done tomorrow. Hopefully it'll run in the spring. I waited over 6 months for a shortblock with the hole APE **** that happened and almost lost $2300. FFHP pulled through on getting me the shortblock. Relax and don't stress on it. Cars were meant to be fun. When you stress, they aren't fun anymore.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:09 PM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ya know, if you could get a straight answer out of someone it would all be good.
Phil
Old 11-29-2005, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

It will be worth it man. I've been waitin on my setup for over 5 months, alot of it because i've changed my mind and had requirments for some exotic parts as well as some of it being HPE was busy with other stuff they had to get out the door. Just be patient man, it'll come.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:14 PM
TECH Junkie

I know how you feel. Almost two years on my project. Although I'm to blame on my time. Broke my hand/arm last summer and between the wife, 3 kids, work, side jobs, buying/selling on ebay and just being burn out, there's not much time left

I've often wished that I could have a little mill and/or lathe at home to make parts when they are needed.

Sounds like others are in or have been in the same boat, so just hang in there Phil. You have a bitchen project in the works, so you will be happy when its all done.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Been there, done that. Waited for months on end for a set of Absolute speed 5.3 heads (some never got them ) . Turned out it was well worth the wait. Although I still get crazy when someone leaves me in the dark, but I have learned to be patient. 2 weeks is nothing. 2 months thats pushing it.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:57 PM
TECH Resident

I know where everyone comes from thankfully I just hop on my Raptor and in a half hour or so its all good.....
Old 11-29-2005, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

Default Don't give up!!!

Don't give up, stay in there. It took me almost 6 years to complete my Nova to where it was running, took 4 years for just the motor so I know how ya feel. When you finally get to drop that gas pedal, all the waiting you did will not even exist anymore.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

At least you got your heads. I've been waiting on mine for 2.5 months now and I still haven't recieved a projected date of completion. My short block will take a while as well due to all the custom parts. Poin tis, if your working on a LSX based engine, using popular parts, you'll probablly wait a while. I can't tell you how many times I've been told 2-3 weeks and it took over 6 months. I've yet to recieve a set of heads in less than 3 months, which is somewhat rediculous IMO.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:16 PM
Restricted User

Phil, you can not give up man, its not right. You are feeling the same pain I have felt for months now, ever since I got back from Afghanistan (April). If its not one thing its five or so others. Its ******* sickening. Hell, try being in your situation, but having the shipping charges like we do here in Hawaii, that **** sucks. You pay for 2 day air, but you get it 3days quickest, to 5weeks, and no money refund either way. If it makes you feel better I can send you a tube of vagisil direct from whatever Wal-Mart, or pharmacy if you like
Old 11-29-2005, 11:39 PM
10 Second Club

Phil, I know it is a pain in the *** man. I'm just in the finishing part of it. Got the motor in and running and working on the tune. At times I just had to take a break from it. Didn't walk in the shop for 2 weeks! As for vendors being honest about delivery dates, buddy you are preaching to the choir! Folks need to tell the damn truth every now and then. I had some really good ones and some that I was about ready to take a road trip to visit! Hang in buddy, when it is done you will enjoy it and the shitty times will be only a memory!

John
Old 11-30-2005, 12:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Ya know, if you could get a straight answer out of someone it would all be good.
Phil
Phil,
Good luck on that. Please keep us all advised.
Thanks,
Brent
Old 11-30-2005, 12:38 AM
rjw
TECH Apprentice

Location: Tinker till it blows, then back it off a notch, maybe!!

Hang in Phil

Your setup is far from off the shelf. Put some heavy pressure on the vendor(s), or seek other alternatives.

Did you pop the engine back in yet, or do you have to wait on stuff for that?